Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cinder Block Walls?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cinder Block Walls?

I was looking into building my own inground pool, I really doubt that I will unless I buy land and build a new house, but you never know. Anyway, I seen several places showing people building the walls out of regular cinder blocks. I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that had any experience with this type of pool. At minimum I would like to have a 20' x 40' with 3.5-4' end for kids, with the other end sloping down to 8' or whatever is necessary to allow for diving from a diving board. Although, I would really like an L shaped pool to add an extra 20' x 10-20' to the shallow area. Thanks in advance for your knowledge!!!
    17100 gallon 27' Round 4' Deep Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter 1 HP pump 50 GPM flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cinder Block Walls?

Duraleigh has such a pool, though it's a bit more complicated then just cinder blocks. His build thread is here.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

That is a good choice Silver!
    Without knowing for sure do I think cinderblock is the most cost effective way to build a pool.
    If I should go that route myself would I choose 10" wide blocks and reinforcements in each shift.
    A figure I have heard for a cinderblock wall is that you need reinforcements every 20 feet. Nothing complicated or expensive to achive, so no worries there.
    Cinderblocks is a DIY project for sure. Buy yourself a cementmixer which you sell once you done. Besides for the mixer isn't there much tools you need. A couple of trowels and buckets and a good wheel barrow of course, masonry strings and a laser. Yeah a grinder so you can cut the rebars It's fun goes fast and turns out great
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

4. Back To Top    #4

I would consider buying a vinyl pool kit and installing it myself. If you have a high water table, building your own pool gets much more difficult, since the hole will constantly be filling with water.

BTW, where in So. Illinois are you located? I went to high school in Carbondale.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the opinions! Feel free to keep them coming.

Melt, I grew up in Ava and now live in Steeleville. That's kinda funny you went to high school in Carbondale, small world as they say!!!
    17100 gallon 27' Round 4' Deep Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter 1 HP pump 50 GPM flow rate

6. Back To Top    #6

Silver, if you haven't seen Henry Porter's DIY build thread, it's here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/concr...th-t10055.html

Lots of work, but really cool to watch the progress.

7. Back To Top    #7

Silver, just to warn you, Mats(Henry Porter) is the king of rebar. So be prepared if and when you look at his build
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html