Where to test?

silver02gt

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2010
Rural Southern Illinois
Where exactly in your pool should you test. As my sig says, I have 27' Round 4' deep pool, for reference I have 18 top rails. I have been taking the water for the test anywhere between right by the skimmer/return, to 1/3 to 1/2 way around the pool away from the skimmer/return. Thank you for your advice!!!

I test mine on the side opposite the skimmer and return. I just get the sample from there because it's closest to the back door! :lol: I think I remember reading that you shouldn't take a sample right at the return, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can clarify that part.

I take my sample from the spot that gets the least amount of circulation. I figure, if there's anything wrong with the water balance, that spot will know it. As well, I take water from an elbow's length below the surface to get a more accurate FC reading because the water of the top however many inches may have had its FC destroyed by the sun.

Consistency in collecting and testing is important. Wherever you get the water, take it from the same place and at pretty much the same time each day.

I go about halfway down the side of the pool, where it starts to get deep. Then I squat down a little, cap my 4' piece of pipe with my thumb, and stick it way down in the water, aiming for the center of the pool. Remove thumb, let pipe fill, recap, lift, and release into my measuring cup. On occasion I may go to the far side and grab some from the deep end midway between returns to add to it. And if I still didn't fill the cup, I stop and get a sample from 2' down in the shallow end, to get a good blend. Especially if I'm feeling OCD that day. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.