Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to test?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to test?

Where exactly in your pool should you test. As my sig says, I have 27' Round 4' deep pool, for reference I have 18 top rails. I have been taking the water for the test anywhere between right by the skimmer/return, to 1/3 to 1/2 way around the pool away from the skimmer/return. Thank you for your advice!!!
    17100 gallon 27' Round 4' Deep Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter 1 HP pump 50 GPM flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to test?

I test mine on the side opposite the skimmer and return. I just get the sample from there because it's closest to the back door! I think I remember reading that you shouldn't take a sample right at the return, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can clarify that part.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, after I tested a few times, I started thinking by the skimmer/return wasn't the best place, but of course that is where the pool is closest to the back door for me!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

I take my sample from the spot that gets the least amount of circulation. I figure, if there's anything wrong with the water balance, that spot will know it. As well, I take water from an elbow's length below the surface to get a more accurate FC reading because the water of the top however many inches may have had its FC destroyed by the sun.

Consistency in collecting and testing is important. Wherever you get the water, take it from the same place and at pretty much the same time each day.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5

Anna has a good point about testing in the area with the least circulation. You should also test after the pump has been running at least an hour.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I go about halfway down the side of the pool, where it starts to get deep. Then I squat down a little, cap my 4' piece of pipe with my thumb, and stick it way down in the water, aiming for the center of the pool. Remove thumb, let pipe fill, recap, lift, and release into my measuring cup. On occasion I may go to the far side and grab some from the deep end midway between returns to add to it. And if I still didn't fill the cup, I stop and get a sample from 2' down in the shallow end, to get a good blend. Especially if I'm feeling OCD that day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I always take it from elbow deep. I guess halfway around the pool or maybe 2/3's of the way around would probably be the place with the least circulation.