Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing kit

Can someone please tell me what the best ph testing kit is. I have a Taylor kit but can't match the colors for the life of me and wonder if ther might be a better solution.
    Southern California/sun all day
    26k gal/in-ground plaster/jacuzzi spillway
    dual speed 1.5/2.5 Hayward
    Cartridge Filter
    UV Ozonator
    Inline Chlorinator
    Wife in bikini and Margarita maker

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Testing kit

Are you colorblind? If not, then maybe the test block has faded with age.

I have seen ads for some optical tester, but I have never seen one in person. You fill test tubes and add reagent, then stick them inside and it reads and gives you a number. You might want to start googling for it.

It would be nice if someone made a pH test as foolproof as the FAS-DPD chlorine test, wouldn't it?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I look for shades more than an exact match. I try to be as accurate as I possibly can, but I know it is not life or death, so shades are close enough for me

4. Back To Top    #4

Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    It would be nice if someone made a pH test as foolproof as the FAS-DPD chlorine test, wouldn't it?
    Sure would!

All the pH kits should be pretty much the same (except the strips!), Richard and Bruce gave good advice.

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

Reading the colors on the PH test gets much easier with practice. It is best to hold the view tube up to a white surface that is lit by direct sunlight. Good lighting makes it simpler to distinguish the colors.

If you really can't make the colors out, there are some alternative ways to measure PH that give direct digital readouts, but they cost around $100.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Spring, TX

I am not able to find it and maybe someone can post it. There was a shade chart that someone has on here for pH levels.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits