Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Only Want to Automate the Valve Acuators

1. Back To Top    #1

Only Want to Automate the Valve Acuators

I've been considering which way to go and asking some questions here and there. I have no water features but I have the Pentair Intelliflo VF. Have I mentioned, lately, how much I love the VF?

With this scenario I'm hoping the Pentair Sun Touch would be all that I need.

I'm having my dedicated pressure return switched to a dedicated suction for the Pool Cleaner, when my "Favorite Most Trusted" pool guy can work me in. So....... With the VF I can set the flow to up once or twice a day, with the Pool Cleaner, virtually always attached to the suction port and not need any automation for pump function and timer.

What I basically need is an actuator to restrict down, a bit, the bottom drain and open the suction port up full. So that's two functions, only. It would also, be nice to have it control the pool light but not absolutely necessary. Right now I'm just doing it manually, using the skimmer for the cleaner, and going down under the deck to change the pump speed and restrict the main drain a bit. Then after its finished go back down turn pump back to regular filter cycles, open the bottom drain all the way, and unhook the cleaner from the skimmer. Then, of course, put the skimmer basket, with sock, back in skimmer, and fish the wireless thermometer from the pool and back into the skimmer.

I wasn't able to run the cleaner today, would really like to run it now, but it's getting dark and I really hate going under the deck at night because of potential encounters with our resident snakes at night. In addition, every time I go under the deck, day or night, I have to get sprayed up with bug repellent because of mosquitoes. So I'm not really being lazy.

I still have the Intermatic Timer box (two mechanical timers-220 volt) up near the house. One is now only used as main power to the pump. The other used to control the Polaris booster which I'm taking out of system. So I have the "power box". The separate 120 volt light switch and GFI are right next to the Intermatic timer box.

Thanks, gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Only Want to Automate the Valve Acuators

Yes, a SunTouch will be able to do that. It will take a little fiddling to get the actuators to put the valves just where you want them, but that only needs to be done once.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Yes, a SunTouch will be able to do that. It will take a little fiddling to get the actuators to put the valves just where you want them, but that only needs to be done once.
    Great. Thanks, Jason. In the previous post I was making it too complicated by trying to involve controlling the pump too. I really don't need that. All that would be nice but I have other things to be fixed that need monies directed towards them. Like, part of my retaining wall, at, end of pool, collapsed. The pool is well supported by other means but the deck is going to shift and crack some more if I don't get it fixed soon.

Will the Sun Touch also control the light?

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. You need a relay for the light. You could do the pump too, up to 3 relays will fit the box.
    12*24, 8,600 gallon vinyl inground, 12*18 H2otsun solar panel, Polaris ATV, 1hp Superpump