Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gotta have shade! Show off those umbrellas

1. Back To Top    #1

Gotta have shade! Show off those umbrellas

We wish like heck we would have had umbrella sleeves installed in our decking. We have zero shade until about 4:30ish even then it just starts to creep onto the baja shelf. We found this umbrella at Walmart, it helps a lil bit. I would like to see some of your creative shade ideas.
    Thanks

11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gotta have shade! Show off those umbrellas

Ohhh, I wish I had a pic of our old setup - we had two of those 12' market umbrellas from Sam's club that they had several years ago that were about $100 each and two 9' umbrellas from somewhere and 4 stands - we just shifted them around during the day.....unfortunately years of abuse and being left open when a sudden thunderstorm would blow up was the end of them....
    Steve
    Deep in the Heart......errrr HEAT of Texas
    20k gallon gunite formal

3. Back To Top    #3

If you can attach something to the block wall and maybe the house, how about something like a Coolaroo.sunbrella shade sail?
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Waited to post this til we got our big one. This is in the morning so the shade is in the wrong place, but it shades the right side of the pool in the afternoon.[attachment=0:35vr6bmt]DSCN1338small.jpg[/attachment:35vr6bmt]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

We have a similar situation. No shade between 10:00 and about 5:30. I sunk 3 pieces of PVC in concrete behind the raised beam on the west side of the pool to serve as umbrella sleeves. The majority of the pool is now shaded in the afternoon.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Waited to post this til we got our big one. This is in the morning so the shade is in the wrong place, but it shades the right side of the pool in the afternoon.[attachment=0:1iib7ser]DSCN1338small.jpg[/attachment:1iib7ser]
    What umbrella is that? Linky?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmm...don't remember offhand but it's not that one. I'll look this afternoon.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Our umbrella came with the summer kitchen however we cannot use it there so I bought a cheap stand from Home Depot and we have found the perfect place for it. The pool gets shade from 12 noon and it shades even more as it sets in the west. BTW I upgraded the cheap stand as it will rust and stain your patio. I purchased the rolling one from Lowe's made of Marble/Granite and it works great. This pic shows the older stand. Hope this helps

6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

9. Back To Top    #9

I was just thinking that we need to get an umbrella! This weekend was perfect and we managed to swim for about 4 hours over the two days. I doubt we will have weather that nice again until June. Good time for umbrella shopping.

I love the brown one that Melt has, but I'm sure that's out of my price range for now.

It might be a bad way of doing things but I will probably buy one of the cheaper ones to start with, ~$100 or so. I just noticed on amazon they have an umbrella cover for $23. I didn't consider it until now, but that might not be a bad idea if we're only using it a few hours per day.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]