Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help...Kids getting rashes...

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help...Kids getting rashes...

Hi, I have been using the BBB method on my pool for 3 years with great results. My father in law throws 1 cup of Leslies chlor brite sanitizer step 2 into his pool every day and now the kids are getting rashes where their bathing suits are. His water is crystal clear. So I brought mt TF100 test kit over to check out his numbers and I need advice on what to tell him. His pool is 22,000 gallon vinyl line inground pool in North Jersey.

CL was off the chart for the basic tester. It was a bright deep yellow. I tested for FC and came up with 7 to 8 as his FC. His PH reading as well is way too LOW to even register in the test, it stays a light yellow color. His CYA has got to be some where up over 120 to 140. When I added the R0013 the water was ridiculously cloudy, after only a few ML i couldnt see the dot. When I tested for TA, after adding the r0008 after the r0007 the water turned very red and not green as it is supposed to. ***?

So what do I tell him? Where do we begin? I am guessing draining and refilling with clean water would be a good start. Any help is greatly appreciated. Like I said, thanks to this site my pool is sparkling, and any little hiccups I can handle easily with all the great on this site. This just seems overwhelming to me.

Thanks in advance............Brian
    Northern NJ, 14x32 inground fiberglass pool, 14,000 gallons, 1 1/2hp Hayward pump, Hayward c1200 cartridge filter, Pentair IC20 SWG , solar heat, mesh safety cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Help...Kids getting rashes...

Brian, sounds like he uses trichlor and doesn't pay much attention to his pool! He has very low pH, TA = 0, and high CYA. I wouldn't want my kids swimming in it!! If he's willing, a drain and refill is indeed the best way to start.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

We had to drain our pool twice last week due to too much salt (10K ppm).... it's a pain but it's totally worth it!
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you measure the CC?

If you know BBB, than you know that this is a classic case of too much CYA, not enough FC and not enough attention in general.

The irritation could be cause by the low pH or by some biologicals that have take hold in the water.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

So what do I tell him? Where do we begin?
    Your very first hurdle will be convincing him that he needs to change what he's doing. If he does (and that's not a guarantee), then you will likely have to convince him of the need to test the water or do it for him.

Those are not small tasks......if you can accomplish those, then you are ready to do some draining and help him get his pool in shape.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by yrreb13
    When I tested for TA, after adding the r0008 after the r0007 the water turned very red and not green as it is supposed to. ***?
    When the TA test immediately turns red, that not only means the TA is zero (or negative), but that the pH is <= 4.5 which is very low. No wonder it's irritating. The pH needs to be raised right away -- adding some sodium carbonate (Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda or pH Up product) would be important to stop any metal corrosion that may already be occurring in his pool. Start with that and when the TA starts to register you can use 20 Mule Team Borax to raise the pH more if needed. I'd be careful about raising the pH too high, however, as he might have dissolved metals in his pool that could then stain.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

I would do the drain/refill dance before bothering to adjust other chems - no one should swim in it right now anyway and you'd just be pouring chems down the drain.

So get that CYA level down and then adjust the PH and TA, and begin to chlorinate properly.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I would do the drain/refill dance before bothering to adjust other chems - no one should swim in it right now anyway and you'd just be pouring chems down the drain.

So get that CYA level down and then adjust the PH and TA, and begin to chlorinate properly.
    Agree with FPM.

I also have a feeling that it may be tough going to convince him that he needs to change his ways.

9. Back To Top    #9

We have started the drain/refill process and I will be testing the water again today. Thank you all for your replies and advice. I have already talked to him about switching over to the BBB method, and you are all right. The water is easy, the stubborn Irish father in-law is going to be tough to convince!!! Thanks again for all your help, I will post a follow-up with the end results when the happen. Wish me luck..........
    Northern NJ, 14x32 inground fiberglass pool, 14,000 gallons, 1 1/2hp Hayward pump, Hayward c1200 cartridge filter, Pentair IC20 SWG , solar heat, mesh safety cover

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by yrreb13
    We have started the drain/refill process and I will be testing the water again today. Thank you all for your replies and advice. I have already talked to him about switching over to the BBB method, and you are all right. The water is easy, the stubborn Irish father in-law is going to be tough to convince!!! Thanks again for all your help, I will post a follow-up with the end results when the happen. Wish me luck..........
    hmmm....maybe some pints of guinness could smooth the road to agreement???
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Maybe having one of the kiddos whisper in his ear thanking him for fixing the pool for them might work.

Have kiddo do it like a secret whisper so he won't get embarrassed and/or rebel against your wishes/actions.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

12. Back To Top    #12

We just converted a RV Park pool to the BBB method, after they got stuck in the dreaded "ChlorBrite" loop from Leslie's This was a pool that was so out of balance that there was no way that the guys onsite could maintain the water, even though they check the water twice every day! We put in a LQ, got them on bleach and MA, and got them a good test kit; you should have seen the look on their faces when they saw what the water could look like with BBB and how simple it really is!

If you can get your F-I-L on board, he (and your kids!) will be much happier (not to mention all the money he'll save not buying ChlorBrite!). Good for you for showing him the way

13. Back To Top    #13

Teach the kids the phrase, "Wow, grandpop - the pool is MUCH less acidic now! Thank you! We love you!"

Good job dealing with the pool and the father-in-law. I can't imagine trying to convince mine of something that ran counter to his opinion.
    ~30K Gallon Vinyl IG, Triton II 24" 225# Sand Filter, Leslie HydraMax (Hayward Super II) pump
    Broken Hayward CL-200 Chlorohater, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit