Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long after adding chlorine to test?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long after adding chlorine to test?

I know I've read this somewhere, but I've searched and searched and can't find it. How long after you add chlorine should you wait to test your FC level? I figure it needs some time to mix around the pool, but also can't wait too long before it is consumed by sun/algae. Thanks for your help?
    17100 gallon 27' Round 4' Deep Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter 1 HP pump 50 GPM flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long after adding chlorine to test?

I'm sure a mod will respond soon, but I think an hour.
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are shocking you can re-test and add chlorine once per hour.

For general maintenance, daily is fine.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Talk about fast replies!!! Yeah, I'm in the middle, well more like the beginning, of turn your green pool into a sparkling oasis. So, I am shocking every 2-3 hours. After just 1 hour I only need to add like 1 qt or less, so I wait til it drops a little lower so I am adding a reasonable amount of bleach. I was more thinking about when I record for the overnight fc loss. Because it seems that when I add according to the pool calculator my fc tests higher than it should, I even remeasured my pool accounting for the lower than normal water level. So, we were thinking that the 10% liquid shock I have is a little stronger. Rambling again.

So if I shock before bed, then wait 1 hour to test, then retest before sunrise, that would be the proper way to perform the overnight fc loss test? Thanks again!!!
    17100 gallon 27' Round 4' Deep Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter 1 HP pump 50 GPM flow rate

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by silver02gt
    ...So if I shock before bed, then wait 1 hour to test, then retest before sunrise, that would be the proper way to perform the overnight fc loss test? Thanks again!!!
    You got it
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator