Please inform how to disconnect copper line...

imcj

May 18, 2010
As I was reading through Pool School I read about disconnecting the copper aspect of the pump. I remember reading that when I first got on this site about a month ago, but I was focusing so much on the water I forgot to disconnect it. Would somebody please refresh me on how to do this with my pump - it should be listed in my signature below. Thank you very much.

Also, how critical is it to test in the evening? I missed testing last night so I was going to do it this morning.

I don't know about the copper line question but I can answer the testing one.
It isn't going to mess you up to test in the morning. Many of us test in the evening and add our chlorine. If I am busy or not home, I certainly test in the morning and add then. The other thing is when you get a trend on how much usage you have, you can just add the normal amount without testing and regroup the next day.

We all have come up with our normal routines that work for us. As long as you are consistent and don't go several days without testing or adding, you should be fine.

disconnecting copper ionizer

Well, I unplugged the copper ionizer today. I feel like I didn't completely do it because it was too easy. It was just unplugging the plug - that's it?

Obviously I can't leave it exposed so I figured I'd wrap it well with electrical tape, but do you have any suggestions on what to cover that small area with? Can I just leave the plug sitting there as long as I wrap it well with electrical tape? Obviously it gets splashed with water. I don't want a hazard sitting there. Thank you.

Re: disconnecting copper ionizer

As I was searching and reading more I ran across a post that said once copper is in the water it never leaves. Did I really need to worry about unplugging it for this summer then? Copper must be in there already. Should I just leave it plugged in and be sure I unplug it before I fill next summer? I never realized having a pool required so much knowledge - ha!

Disconnecting copper ionizer

I posted this on another discussion board and I feel bad because I guess it is more a question for here. Oops and sorry everybody.

Report this postEdit postReply with quote

This is what I posted on Saturday on the other board...

Well, I unplugged the copper ionizer today. I feel like I didn't completely do it because it was too easy. It was just unplugging the plug - that's it?

Obviously I can't leave it exposed so I figured I'd wrap it well with electrical tape, but do you have any suggestions on what to cover that small area with? Can I just leave the plug sitting there as long as I wrap it well with electrical tape? Obviously it gets splashed with water. I don't want a hazard sitting there. Thank you.

Post later that day...
As I was searching and reading more I ran across a post that said once copper is in the water it never leaves. Did I really need to worry about unplugging it for this summer then? Copper must be in there already. Should I just leave it plugged in and be sure I unplug it before I fill next summer? I never realized having a pool required so much knowledge - ha!

Update...
I plugged it back in because I hadn't received responses on this and I didn't know what to do. I guess it's too late...I already have copper in the pool, right?

Am I posting incorrectly?

I posted on this site yesterday I believe then realized it was probably an equipment question so I posted on Equipment - SWG's today. Now I see it here on Testing and Balancing Your Water also. Am I posting incorrectly? I'm really sorry if I am.

Sorry I didn't comment on this sooner. While techically once copper is in the water it stays unless splashed out or backwashed out. What you don't want to happen is to keep adding to what's already there. By plugging the ionizer back in you've started adding more copper to what's already there. It's high levels that cause problems.

I'd say go ahead and unplug it again, as Bama says you really don't want to keep adding to what you've already got in there.

If what you've already got in there becomes a problem, likely it wont.
Then we'll deal with that. But I doubt you'll have to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great. Thank you very much. I will unplug it as soon as I post, then I'm back to the other question. I don't think it would be safe to leave the plug and posts exposed, right? I will wrap both with electrical tape then what do you suggest? Thank you very much. On my way outside to unplug.

I wrapped the cord well. I happened to have an empty water bottle in my hand and noticed the cap fit over the posts, so I just put it on top and wrapped all around it with the tape. Voila!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.