Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Temperatures

1. Back To Top    #1

High Temperatures

Hi, recently i noticed my pool water level goes down and i have been reading that is normal. Normally it losses about 1 or 2 inches in two and a half days, but sometimes it goes down about 3 to 3 1/2 in in three or four days. I live in Las Vegas, NV and the normal summer temp is about 102 F the highest is about 110 F.
    Is the water loss normal or at least in the normal range for the temp?
    21K gal, Pentair Cartridge filter, IG pool, Concrete, 2.5hp Pentair pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Temperatures

Quote Originally Posted by DeathB4Me
    Hi, recently i noticed my pool water level goes down and i have been reading that is normal but sometimes it goes down about 3 to 3 1/2 in in three or four days. I live in Las Vegas, NV and the normal summer temp is about 102 F the highest is about 110 F.
    Is the water loss normal or at least in the normal range for the temp?

I lose an inch or so every couple of days in the summer. I'm in South FL.
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

3. Back To Top    #3

With temps above 100 F and very low humidity I would expect water loss in the range you're seeing.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

4. Back To Top    #4

You can do a bucket test to check. Fill a bucket partially with water, put it next to the pool, and see if the level goes down at the same rate as the pool. If the pool drops faster, you have a leak.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

I did that and left it for 3 days. on the second day i saw that the pool water was a little lower than the bucket but the next day i checked it was the same again. what was that about?

6. Back To Top    #6

Ambiguity suggests that you don't have a leak, you just need to move somewhere with decent weather! Same as me...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

7. Back To Top    #7

Is the pool in full sun all day as well? That might do it!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

yes, i do not have a pool cover yet, should i get one?

9. Back To Top    #9

That will make it even hotter! But will cut down on evaporation.

10. Back To Top    #10

Then i wont get one, the hootest it has gotten is like 84 F i dont want it to feel like a bath!

11. Back To Top    #11

I hear ya, my wife likes it hot and keeps putting the cover on. It was 100 yesterday when I got home from work!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    I hear ya, my wife likes it hot and keeps putting the cover on. It was 100 yesterday when I got home from work!
    100-102 is our normal spa soaking temp, year round. In summer we like it a little less than 100 during day. So basically you have a big spool. :P

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine