help needed re: muriatic acid

Okay, it looks like you are trying to lower TA. mY inital reaction is that's w-a-a-a-y too much acid.

Even so, I think you would have much better luck bringing that into range later on. There's no hurry.

Post back and let us know if it's already in there or not.

I would suggest adding not more than 1/2 gallon and then testing an hour later.

I'm usually somewhat of a gambler on dosages but adding a gallon + to that pool just didn't seem right. Let's see what you get after the .5 or less addition. It'll be easy to add more.

Numbers as of this am

PH 7.2
FC 4.5
TA 280
CYA 40

Although I have an above ground pool, My CH was yesterday at 30...pool calq says to add 92 oz of calcium chloride. do I disregard this because I have an AGP?, does it affect my TA in anyway? If I do have to add it, is it sold in stores as Calcium Chloride or another name?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Duraleigh,

What did you do to get pH to 7.2?

I think it was the MA and then playing in pool later that evening. if not, then I have no idea.

I am really concerned about the amount of MA I need to use. Is it safe to swim in? Should I continue this regiment daily until the TA is stable. Or should it be done quickly...for instance all in one day?

kawfytawk said:
I am really concerned about the amount of MA I need to use. Is it safe to swim in? Should I continue this regiment daily until the TA is stable. Or should it be done quickly...for instance all in one day?
TA will come down on it's own if you keep adding acid when the pH climbs. Don't overdose on acid!

If I recall, you're in the process of shocking your pool right now, so your pH readings are useless at the moment. Don't even worry about pH, CH, TA until the algae is gone.

no, you can't lower TA all in one day.

Lowering TA is straightforward. Everytime the PH creeps up to 7.8, you lower it down to 7.2 with acid. The acid additions will lower the TA as well. Eventually the TA will come into range, there is no reason to rush this process. However, using some form of aeration will cause the PH to rise faster, so that the acid additions will take place quicker.

No reason to rush the process. You can swim after adding MA, just give it some time to circulate.

What MA? Have you added any since yesterday? If so, when and how much?

Once in the pool, the MA is harmless.

There is no regimen. We are simply trying to get your pH where it belongs. How much of Pool School have you read?

KT, your pH test is valid and it's important that you are taking accurate measurements of pH before you do anything else. Please answer the questions above.

Richard,

I am not shocking the pool, unless that is what it is called when you adjust your brand new fill water. I haven't used a formal package of "shock". I thought I could do this BBB but I am getting confused and worried about using so much stuff that can etch concrete! :shock: I just pray I am doing things right.

I have nightmares that anyone entering my pool will go blind or bald. ugh

Duraleigh,

Yesterday I posted that I would add more MA before bed, I did not since kids were in pool until late and I have been sick with fever so curled up in bed. I did add the remainder of the gallon of MA this AM at 7:00am. Took the results at about 8:45 am and posted them this morning. So since the brand new fill water was completed, there has been a total of 1 gallon of MA used and no more.

The PH of 7.2 was as of this morning

Yes, I have read pool school but to be honest, I have no idea what questions to ask until I encounter them. I cannot stress enough that I have never owned a pool or cared for one. Nothing in pool school is greatly detailed regarding lowering an absurdly high TA. It mentions nothing about what large quantities of MA will do to you, which according to the pool calculator I must add. So I just ask as I am going through this.

Sorry if this sounds cranky (not intending it that way) but I am sick as a dog

I think you are doing fine. :goodjob:

Yes, your TA is high, and it sounds to me like you are performing that test correctly. The high TA won't be an issue as you know to monitor the PH. You are doing that.

Adding the acid in the amounts we recommend to keep the PH in range, won't harm you or anyone in the pool. That's why the process is gradual. Obviously adding all that acid at once would be extremely dangerous and detrimental so it's a slow, gradual process to lower TA. As I stated, there is no reason to rush it.

Pool School can be alot of information to try and absorb all at once. I've been there, so no worries. We'll help you gradually, one step at a time.

This is new fill water correct? It doesn't appear to me that you are trying to shock the pool... just maintain your FC level according to the CYA chart and you should be fine there.

Right now your main issue is daily testing of PH and FC, keeping them in range. 5-7 days after you have added the CYA, test to see where your level stands, and adjust your FC levels accordingly. Test the TA weekly while you are in the lowering TA mode.

Hope this helps - post back if any of this doesn't make sense. :wink:

Thanks FPM,

Yes that makes sense. I thought I was to test my TA daily until I got the results I wanted. I thought to myself, I am going to have to order more R-0009 if I keep this up with 25 to 30 drops at a time :|

I will pay attention to the PH/FC and adjust accordingly. I really appreciate all of the pool help and the correction of my spelling of the word regimen :wink:

Kawfy

I hope you are feeling better!

I live about 2 hrs north of you up Hwy 6. We are also on a well, not a community one either. No one is testing our well water. It comes from the Lower Trinity Aquifer.

Our TA has ALWAYS been high in the 5 yrs since we bought our home and acquired this lovely pool. However, my plan (after much reading of Pool School and following advice on this forum) is that I ignore the TA until I get chlorine and pH balanced. MA lowers both pH and TA - since I have to add MA (not much thankfully) to lower my pH, I figure it's working on the TA at least a little bit. If I'm wrong on this someone speak up.

Like you, I have also been very overwhelmed by learning the ropes of taking care of this pool (I posted yesterday about my state of overwhelmtion in a different thread). But when the grandkids are splashing and having fun and all I can hear are giggles and laughter, I say to myself "It's all worth it, It's all worth it."

Hang in there Kawfy! Some pages of Pool School I have read over and over! & I'll keep reading them again and again as long as it takes.

Aw thanks Sonflower,

I have been so excited about getting this pool and now that I finally got it, I get sick. So I sit on the patio in 100 degree heat and shiver like junkie in withdrawals, while watching everyone else have fun :( Murphy's law I guess....but it is nice to see the 8 month old grandson (aka lil tadpole) and kids having a good time. Next week I get my deck! By then I should be over this crud and practicing my "Esther Williams" moves... :-D

Kawfy

The 2nd summer we had pool, I had arm surgery & could not get in. The 3rd yr we had pool I broke my back 7/5 (at T-12) in a horseback riding accident. I understand abt being on the sidelines watching. BTW we are on yr 5 and I am just now getting the chems right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.