Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help needed re: muriatic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

help needed re: muriatic acid

I am trying to set up my pool. Bleach is in, I know I need to add muriatic acid....currently have a sock with stabilizer in front of the return. When/where do I add the MA and how? I need to add 2 qts for now. Can I do it with the sock thing in my way ...if I need to put it next to return? I am a tad nervous about handling the stuff.
    Kawfy
    AGP 16x32x52 Cornelius, guesstimate of 15400 gal. Dished out in center to 5 ft , Counter sunk 1ft 10"
    Jacuzzi 1.5 hp pump, 300 lb sand filter
    Full hot sun in Heart of Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: help needed re: muriatic acid

I assume you have it in a one gallon plastic jug. I would remove the cap and carefully lower the jug partially (but not enough to submerse the mouth) down into the water to remove some weight and get the mouth closer to the water.

Then, simply pour the acid gently into the water DIRECTLY in front of a return and it will disperse rapidly.

When you feel like you have poured a little less than half, stop there and measure your pH in a couple of hours....adjust as necessary.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

How do you know you need MA? Post a full set of numbers so we can double check for you.

A healthy fear of MA is a good thing. You should wear eye protection when handling the stuff. Pour it slowly in front of a return with the pump running. Try to keep the wind at your back so the fumes are blown away from you. Don't worry about the CYA sock.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi,

Yes, sorry I was going to start my BBB yesterday but had an issue with the pump. My numbers were

PH 8.2 according to the small blue test kit
    FC 3*.5 @ 1.5
    TA 35*10 @ 350
    CH 3*10 @30

Bama responded with this

1. If these numbers are the latest then here's what you should begin with.Add 1½ quarts of muratic acid to bring the pH down. (pool calc calls for 3½ but lets do it in a couple of steps.)
    2. Add 4lbs of stabilizer either in a sock in front of a return or slowly in the skimmer (don't backwash for a week).
    3. Add 2 quarts of bleach to bring the FC up.
    4. Wait and hour, test pH & FC and post results. When we know what the new pH number is we'll tell you how much more MA to add.

I hope I didn't mess anything up by not doing another test this am in any case I guess what's done is done and I pray I don't have a big problem on my hands.
    The water looked the same. and it is still clear.

I just added the MA will wait a couple of hours and then post new data here.
    Kawfy
    AGP 16x32x52 Cornelius, guesstimate of 15400 gal. Dished out in center to 5 ft , Counter sunk 1ft 10"

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like you have it under control. You can go ahead and add the bleach now if you haven't already.
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

I was wondering something similar this morning. Generally speaking, how long should I wait before adding MA after adding bleach?

Thank you in advance.
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

I have seen 30 minutes here. I am sure it mixes to the point of being safe faster than 30 minutes, but better safe than sorry I guess. Sometimes I don't wait that long, but I will use my brush (with a whale tail) to give it a good mix.

8. Back To Top    #8

ok, wasn't sure what tests to do so I did them all and the results are as follows:

PH 7.5
    FC .5ppm
    CC .5ppm
    TC 1
    TA 310 (surprisingly did not change even after MA)
    CH 30
    CYA 50

What should I do next?
    Kawfy

9. Back To Top    #9

Did you add the bleach? You minimum FC for CYA = 50 is 4, so you should be targeting 7 or so. Have you familiarized yourself with the Pool Calculator (link in my signature)?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Next, put enough bleach in to reach 5ppm.

Understand that bleach is consumable and you will need to add it daily to keep your pool crystal clear.

Then read Pool School.......especially the first few articles. That'll help you get a good understanding of what your testing and why your testing it. It should also prompt you to ask more questions.

How does your water look?
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kawfytawk
    ok, wasn't sure what tests to do so I did them all and the results are as follows:

PH 7.5
    FC .5ppm
    CC .5ppm
    TC 1
    TA 310 (surprisingly did not change even after MA)
    CH 30
    CYA 50

What should I do next?
    Looks like your TA dropped from 350 to 310; is that right? That sounds about right for the amount of acid you added. If you didn't already know, when you're testing TA it helps to wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth after every couple drops. Sometimes static electricity builds up and makes the drops much smaller than normal, giving the impression that the TA is a lot higher than it actually is.

You need to get some chlorine in there! The pool calculator can help you figure out how much.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes I added the bleach ....according to the calculator plugging in my new readings I should add another 3 qts. which I will do in just a sec.

yes, I am trying to use the calc. I am new to it and really trying to guess at my water volume. I could be off on my CYA test
    Kawfy

13. Back To Top    #13

ok, yep the TA did go down. I did wipe after every drop because the very first time I did it I got a reading of 510

This is my very first time adding anything to this pool or any pool for that matter. I will add the bleach and retest. Do you think I need to add more MA? The calq did not say so. But I know I must aerate as well.

I really appreciate all the help
    Kawfy

14. Back To Top    #14

If you are following the Lower Total Alkalinity instructions you can go lower with your pH (7.0 to 7.2) which will allow you to take a bigger chunk out of the TA with each cycle.

15. Back To Top    #15

sven...ok so according to pool calq I add 1 gallon plus 2 cups of MA.....this means in 32 oz increments slowly in front of return?...and when folks say slowly are we talking trickle?
    Kawfy

16. Back To Top    #16

can anyone swim in the pool now to create the aeration?
    Kawfy

17. Back To Top    #17

I'd give the acid some time to mix in, but otherwise as long as you put in the bleach and nothing's visibly wrong with the water, I would probably swim.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

18. Back To Top    #18

A stream like the diameter of a pencil would be good. It should take two minutes to add a whole gallon.

Alternatively you could add the acid to a 5 gallon bucket of pool water to dillute it and then broadcast that in the pool.

Always add Acid to Water. Never add Water to Acid!!!

Playing in the pool is an excepted method of aeration!

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

ok so according to pool calq I add 1 gallon plus 2 cups of MA
    OOps! Let's hold on that addition for a minute Why are you lowering pH?
    Dave S.

20. Back To Top    #20

Duraleigh, Kawfy is trying to lower TA, but I see what you are getting at...

I get 2 quarts of 31.45% MA to drop pH from 7.5 to 7.2 in 15,400 gallons

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast