Do I need to discard cartridge after algae bloom?

stephcheff

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
San Diego County, CA
Had an algae bloom a couple of weeks ago due to poor water circulation in pool. I shocked, brushed, and changed cartridges and the algae is gone. Do I need to throw out the cartridges that were exposed to the algae, or can I soak them in DW detergent and bleach, hose them down, then re-use them? Although the algae mainly appeared on the bottom of the pool, was brownish, and was easily disturbed with a brush, I think it was regular green algae, not mustard algae. I guess I think it was regular green algae because it was green in spots, and cleared up easily with a little attention.

No reason at all to get rid of them. Hose them off with a strong stream of water, soak them in some cartridge cleaner or other cleaning solution method, I'm sure the good folks on here will suggest other ways to clean them. I have two so that I can switch them out and keep the pool running while cleaning the other.

We had an AWFUL time with algae last summer before I started the BBB method and my cartridges would turn a LOVELY shade of green when fighting the bloom. Thankfully, we use the best system in the world to keep our pool clean and sanited and haven't had issues since.

I'll post a pic when I can get it downloaded..or is it uploaded?

Here are the gross :puker: cartridge pics I was talking about:

100_6517.jpg

100_6515.jpg

Now look at how it looks!

img_1934.jpg

perspective.jpg

img_1925.jpg

I am happy to say that my pool looks like the nice pics you see here, thanks to the BBB method of taking care of my pool. Awesome site and awesome folks here, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.