Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to discard cartridge after algae bloom?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need to discard cartridge after algae bloom?

Had an algae bloom a couple of weeks ago due to poor water circulation in pool. I shocked, brushed, and changed cartridges and the algae is gone. Do I need to throw out the cartridges that were exposed to the algae, or can I soak them in DW detergent and bleach, hose them down, then re-use them? Although the algae mainly appeared on the bottom of the pool, was brownish, and was easily disturbed with a brush, I think it was regular green algae, not mustard algae. I guess I think it was regular green algae because it was green in spots, and cleared up easily with a little attention.
    40,000 gallons, IG, pebble, SWCG, cartridge, in-floor cleaning system, Maryland

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need to discard cartridge after algae bloom?

No reason to get rid of them.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

No reason at all to get rid of them. Hose them off with a strong stream of water, soak them in some cartridge cleaner or other cleaning solution method, I'm sure the good folks on here will suggest other ways to clean them. I have two so that I can switch them out and keep the pool running while cleaning the other.

We had an AWFUL time with algae last summer before I started the BBB method and my cartridges would turn a LOVELY shade of green when fighting the bloom. Thankfully, we use the best system in the world to keep our pool clean and sanited and haven't had issues since.

I'll post a pic when I can get it downloaded..or is it uploaded?
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are the gross cartridge pics I was talking about:

Now look at how it looks!

I am happy to say that my pool looks like the nice pics you see here, thanks to the BBB method of taking care of my pool. Awesome site and awesome folks here, too.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

5. Back To Top    #5

That cartridge looks practically perfect after you sprayed it off. A heck of a lot nicer looking than mine! Mine are ~5 years old and still working fine.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Just a normal rinse off will be fine. You only need to do a more through cleaning when the pressure doesn't go back down to at least close to the original starting pressure after a rinse off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for your replies and the great pictures. I will clean the filters as I usually do, and reuse them.
    40,000 gallons, IG, pebble, SWCG, cartridge, in-floor cleaning system, Maryland