suction on pool vac?

Jun 10, 2010
27k gallon inground vinyl pool. I have been having trouble getting some sediments off the bottom of my pool. I have the old school vac head attached to the hose and pole setup and can't seem to get enought suction to suck up the sediment. I've been thinking of closing two drain lines in hopes of making the third have stronger suction so i can vacuum the crud up but have been hesitant thinking it might damage the pump. Any thoughts?

It's normal to partially close the other lines to increase suction for vacuuming. As long as the pump basket stays nearly full, you'll be fine.

I have always closed all other drains. I have been doing this since I was 10 (I am 56 now) because my old man taught me that way. As long as your vac head rolls freely and you have a decent flow out the return (or waste pipe, if going to waste), you are fine, IMHO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.