Trying to fix my pool lights

julio

Jun 16, 2010
Round Rock, TX
I have 2 lights in my pool (Pentair Spectrum Amerilites) that are connected to the same switch. They haven't worked since I bought the house a month or so ago. I finally got around to looking at them yesterday and found a couple things.

First, the GFCI switch that it is in my main control box, where the pump timers are. The switch is bad, in fact, it appears to have burned up. There is evidence of smoke/fire in the box. Doesn't seem like anything else is damaged though, so that's a plus I guess.

The second thing I found is (I'm guessing) probably the cause of the first problem. While I was swimming I took a look at both lights one had non visible issues, but the other one looks like it might have gotten water in it and rusted. The bottom inch or so of the lens (on the inside) is a brownish color. I can't tell if there is currently water inside though. Of course, this is also a big assumption, since I have absolutely no experience with pool lights. If anybody can confirm or deny my diagnosis, I'd appreciate it.

So, if the light is letting water in and rusted inside, is it salvageable? I would assume not, but I sure would like to hear if it could be saved. Really don't have $500 to spend on a light right now. What would be the recommended procedure for getting some light in the pool. If one light is bad and can't be fixed, is there a problem just disconnecting it (leaving it installed though) and using just one light?

Also, looking at Pentair's website, it appears I can buy replacement parts. This might be the way to go once I can figure out what is damaged. There's nothing tricky about getting it out to remove and inspect, right? Just remove the single screw, take out the light, and disassemble? No need to lower water level to below the light, correct?

Thanks!

Also, looking at Pentair's website, it appears I can buy replacement parts. This might be the way to go once I can figure out what is damaged. There's nothing tricky about getting it out to remove and inspect, right? Just remove the single screw, take out the light, and disassemble? No need to lower water level to below the light, correct?
Yes, it's a single screw removal and the fixture will come out. Builder will have left enough cord coiled in the niche for you to remove fixture from the water and place on the deck for repair.

Ok, I took the light apart and the stuff inside wasn't rust, just scummy water. Cleaned it up and the light actually still works, but the colorwheel motor is toast. I have the part on order and it should be in this week, I hope.

So now I have a new question... I know you're supposed to replace the gasket each time you take it apart, but I'd like to reinstall the light while I wait for the part to come in. Then take it back out, replace the motor and reinstall. Is a new gasket necessary even if the light has been in about a week?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.