Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rainforest Blue - Same as Baquacil?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rainforest Blue - Same as Baquacil?

I am converting over to the BBB method, but going through chlorine like nobody's business (4 gallons a day... after getting started on the program with 24 gallons in my 11K gallon pool).

After reading a posting on Baquacil, it got me to wondering. Earlier this summer, I tried a product called Rainforest Blue to be more "green" in the pool and minimize the chlorine usage. I'm now wondering if this Rainforest Blue is pretty much the same stuff at Baquacil.

Do any of you have any experience with Rainforest Blue?

http://www.pacificsandsinc.com/html/pool_closing.html
    11K Gallon IG Diamond Brite Pool with a Cartridge Filter - 1.65HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rainforest Blue - Same as Baquacil?

Rainforst Blue is copper sulfate based, not the same as Baquacil at all. We strongly recommend against using copper based products. Depending on how much you used, it would be a good idea to get your copper level tested. Copper can cause unsightly stains that are extremely difficult to remove.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the copper sulfate causing more bleach/chlorine requirements?

I'm just surprised at the amount of bleach required so far.
    11K Gallon IG Diamond Brite Pool with a Cartridge Filter - 1.65HP Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

No, copper sulfate won't have any effect on the conversion. The only possible issue with copper in the water is staining. Other than that it will just sit there and "not get involved".

Baquacil conversions do require dramatic amounts of chlorine. I've conversions that took anywhere from 20 to over 100 gallons of 6% bleach.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School