Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair (Rainbow) Pro Vac Head

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair (Rainbow) Pro Vac Head

Can a Pentair (Rainbow) Pro Vac vacuum head be used in a pool with a vinyl liner? Pentair's website describe these as residential & commercial vacuums but does not state if they are suitable for use with vinyl liners. I called Pentair and the customer service rep had never been asked this question before. She spoke with her supervisor who said that the ball bearing wheels could scratch the liner.

What do the pro's use when they clean residential pools? I am looking for a better vacuum than the triangle head the pool builder provided.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair (Rainbow) Pro Vac Head

The vacuum heads with wheels are meant for plaster pools. Some people use them with vinyl, but I wouldn't if it were me; the wheel edges can cut the liner. What's wrong with the triangular head you have?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I was looking for something which works better than the triangular head the pool builder provided. I thought the professional model with the wheels may move easier and pick up fine sand/dirt better. I don't mind continuing to use the one I already have. Cheaper too!
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

this is similar to what I use for all pools, yes it is possible to damage the liner if you jam it into the edges of the pool. It's much faster than other vac's for debris but since it has no brushes it does not do well for algae.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp