Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG installed, Issue with Pump self Priming

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG installed, Issue with Pump self Priming

Installed the Circu Pool RJ30 over the weekend, found out after the auto timer kicked the pump on it wasnt priming and pushing water out to the pool. Had to open up the pump and add water to the pump, closed it back up and presto, pump primed and water flow began. I'm thinking its because I installed the SWG above the Filter valvue. See picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks for all the info!!

18' X 33' X 4' AG Vinyal Pool of unknown parentage
    Hayward Perflex DE bump filter and Power Flo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG installed, Issue with Pump self Priming

There is nothing wrong with where you installed the SWG. More likely you have an air leak, causing the pump to lose prime when it is turned off. If the pump continues to lose prime, check all of the new connections to make sure they are sealing well. Especially check the unions on the SWG and make sure they are clean and aligned correctly. You may also need to lube the o-rings on those unions to get a good seal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My RJ45 is mounted higher than the filter, similar to yours...no issues with pump prime at all. Perhaps you are leaking air in through one of your fittings and the water is draining back?

You did mount it on the return side of the filter (going to the pool) right?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by prov431
    My RJ45 is mounted higher than the filter, similar to yours...no issues with pump prime at all. Perhaps you are leaking air in through one of your fittings and the water is draining back?

You did mount it on the return side of the filter (going to the pool) right?

Yes this is mounted to the return side to the pool. When I shut the pump down I can here and see the water flow back down to the pump. I definately here air coming in somewhere. If there was an air leak somewhere i would assume I would see leaking water. I am not. I appreciate the help!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    There is nothing wrong with where you installed the SWG. More likely you have an air leak, causing the pump to lose prime when it is turned off. If the pump continues to lose prime, check all of the new connections to make sure they are sealing well. Especially check the unions on the SWG and make sure they are clean and aligned correctly. You may also need to lube the o-rings on those unions to get a good seal.

I will check out the unions. What shall I use for the lube? Some type of Silicone?

6. Back To Top    #6

I can't tell by the picture, but does the PVC piping run down and to the side of the cell inlet? (or does it 90 right into it?)

7. Back To Top    #7

It comes out of the union to a 90 degree elbow to a 4 inch piece of PVC into the Inlet.

8. Back To Top    #8

O-rings should be lubricated with a silicone based pool or plumbers lube.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Some pool lube is teflon-based (aka "Dupont fluorocarbons" in Leslie's pool and spa lube), and works fine as well. Anything petroleum-based will eat the rubber seals.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden