Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help!

I hope this is the right place to post. I first posted in BBB but moved it here. Our pool was finished last summer & really had no problems. This year we have a few "slick spots" but no visible green. I have been studying the pool school & put our numbers in this morning.
    These are our readings:

CL less than 5
    PH 7.2
    FC 4
    CC 0
    TC 4
    TA 90
    CH
    CYA 55

It looks like I need 63 oz stabilizer, 45 oz baking soda, & 62 oz borax? I don't understand why it doesn't tell me that I need bleach because my CC is 0. My water is not sparkling clear like last year. Hopefully someone can start me down the happy BBB path!
    19,000 IG Pacific Blue plaster,raised spa with spillover,rock waterfall, Jandy 2.5 HP pump,Pentair sand filter,Paramount in floor cleaning system, Jandy Aquapure SWG, Aqualink remote

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Help!

Your TA is fine, no baking soda needed, the ph should rise on it's own from the use of the SWG so leave that alone too. Don't adjust CYA yet, lets figure out what's happening with the clarity/quality first.

What are you testing with?
    You should do an overnight FC loss test with the SWG off to determine if organics are the problem.

Overnight FC Loss Test
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply! We have the TF-100 kit. As for the overnight CL test, does that mean test at night & again in the morning?
    19,000 IG Pacific Blue plaster,raised spa with spillover,rock waterfall, Jandy 2.5 HP pump,Pentair sand filter,Paramount in floor cleaning system, Jandy Aquapure SWG, Aqualink remote

4. Back To Top    #4

Good! then you can do the overnight test properly. In the post is a link to the instructions for doing the overnight loss test, the instructions are step by step
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, test at night when the sun is off the pool and make sure the SWG is off as well. Test again at dawn before the sun is fully up. This will show how much FC is lost to organics in the water. Sunlight causes FC to burn off, if you wait until the sun is up you may show more FC loss than you really have overnight.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Will do! Thanks so much for the help. I'm ready for our pool to be sparkling clear again. I'll post results again in the morning. Another question - should I post on this thread or start a new one?

7. Back To Top    #7

Post on this thread

8. Back To Top    #8

Good Morning! Just did my overnight FC test. Last night was 5 1/2 & this morning was 6 1/2. My husband insists that the slick spots just need a good brushing. What do you think? Like I said, it is just in a few spots. Thanks so much for all your help!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Did you have the SWCG off before testing last night?

If so how long before testing did you turn it off?

Did you test for CC's also?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

CC was 0 and we did turn the SWG off 3 hours befor testing.

11. Back To Top    #11

The SWG was off and your FC went UP?

12. Back To Top    #12

I asked my husband & he did say that the SWG was off. We checked it about 10 last night and again this morning about 6. Am I nuts? We haven't added any chemicals at all in 4 days.

13. Back To Top    #13

That's a bit unusual... I suggest repeating the test tonight. Let the SWG run today, turn it off about 7pm. Test the FC at about 10pm, then again in the morning. It prob means you passed the test but lets verify that tonight just to be sure

As far as the slick spots, have you tried brushing them? How often do you brush the pool?

14. Back To Top    #14

We did brush this morning and normally brush about once a week. I do notice the slick spots are not where we mostly hang out in the pool. I have 3 grandsons - 2,1, 9 months, so we stay in the shallow end quite a bit! I am going to go out shortly & work on it some more. Will repeat test tonight & again in the am. Thank you so much for the help!!