Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH rising using alot of acid and not sure why

1. Back To Top    #1

PH rising using alot of acid and not sure why

Topic Split off by Moderator

I'm putting about a Gallon of acid(31.45%) every two weeks in 13,000 gl pool - old plaster, SWG, Borates (50) - not getting used a lot yet this summer. Why is Ph climbing so fast?
    Irvine, CA
    IG Plaster 12,600 gallons, saltwater.
    D.E. Filter - 48 sq. ft. 96GPM
    1 1/2 H.P. pump.
    Kreepy Krawly

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: PH rising using alot of acid and not sure why

Can you post a full set of results so we can advise you better... any water features besides the SWG?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: PH rising using alot of acid and not sure why

That actually sounds about right to me. Maybe a little high, but not much more than I use. First, I have hard water. If add 2" of fill water I have to add 2 cups of acid just to stay even on pH. Second, I have some real light calcium scaling that is slowly dissolving (we're talking months and months) by keeping pH down below 7.5 all the time. (and brushing with a steel brush) Third, I have to keep water flowing through the spa portion so it gets filtered, and there's no way to stop the bubbles. I have it down low, but it still gets a lot of aeration. Which isn't necessarily bad, as it gets rid of the TA. But it uses a bunch of acid.

Once the TA gets down to about 80, things stabilize quite a bit. But then it gets hot, water evaporates, I add more, and it all starts over again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!