Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New guy!

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy!

Hi everyone, just call me “black algae guy”. I’ve had it for years and can’t seem to get rid of it. Other than that my pool is beautiful and sparkling clean year round.
    Glad I found this site. Looks like a lot of wisdom and money saving to be had here.
    Montgomery, AL
    20,000 gallions
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 hp
    60 GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New guy!

How's it going, Mr. The Kid? Welcome to TFP!
    If you start a thread in the "Algae - Prevention and Treatment" section, post some pictures and some test results, we can help you get rid of it!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome Billy! Everyone here is very helpful and friendly!
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

How do you chlorinate?

Please post a full set of numbers:
    • FC
      CC
      pH
      CYA <-- Important
      TA
      CH

Also, can you put the specifics (size, AG/IG, surface, etc) of you pool in your signature.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi everyone. I will work on those numbers and see about getting them in here over the weekend.
    My plan this weekend, from what I’ve read is to get in the pool and brush these dime sized black surfaces to open them up to chemicals? I read rubbing a chlorine tablet in them after I brush them open will help. Big party coming up so I will do that quickly for some temporary relief until I can apply chemicals, etc.

I'm part of a sports blog and nobody's as friendly there as they are here.
    Montgomery, AL
    20,000 gallions
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 hp
    60 GPM

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, rubbing a trichlor tablet on them after brushing them will help.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

What a wealth of information here! I've never heard of the BBB method before. I've always thought pool chemicals were very expensive. Just my opinion though. They have always been helpful to me. But this BBB seems like the way to go. I just bought a 5 gallon bucket of granulated chlorine though at Sam's for what I thought was a good price. Oh well. Maybe I can use the methods together through time? Sorry for the silly questions. I'm like a kid in a candy store here and I know nothing. Need to let my friends know about this site.
    Montgomery, AL
    20,000 gallions
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 hp
    60 GPM

8. Back To Top    #8

Good advice so far. Welcome to TFP!