Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Temperature effect on Chlorine usage

1. Back To Top    #1

Temperature effect on Chlorine usage

My pool is up to 86 degrees and my chlorine usage has increased to around 4-5 ppm each day. Am I getting algae or is the increased sun angle and temp causing this? I check every evening with the FAS/DPD test and raise with bleach to 8ppm. The next evening my reading is 3-4 ppm. A couple weeks ago I was only using 2-3 ppm daily. I have virtually no CC, CYA 40, Ph 7.5
    18x36 IG, 22k Gal, Vinyl, 1HP Hayward SuperPump, 250lb Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Temperature effect on Chlorine usage

I had the same issues recently. I bumped up my CYA (I have a SWG) and that did the trick for me....
    South Florida. 20,000 gallons; 16x35 rectangular gunite; Pentair Intelliflo VF Variable Speed Pump; Hayward cartridge; Aqua Rite SWG. Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner; Kopec 540sc Electric Heat pump pool heater; Pool built in Spring 2004.

3. Back To Top    #3

I just recently bumped up my CYA from 50 to 60. It is working so well that in dumping in my usual every day or two addition, estimating, I'm now overshooting a little more than needed. I like to add enough to take it about 1 level above the top of my range. I've now overshot it a couple of times by 3-4 which isn't too drastic and still below shock. I guess I should test every other day until I know the "almost" exact amount to add. (I do test when the bather load is increased or it rains, which it hasn't in a while, but that doesn't happen often.)

This also gives me a little buffer for when I backwash instead of opening the filter for a hose off. It takes a lot of water to get our "cementous" dust and Fiber Clear flushed out.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, increased water temperatures increase the amount of chlorine you need to use.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I am having the same issue here. My CYA is 80 and the CC went from 3.6 to .4 overnight. The water temp was 92 this morning. We have had extremely hot days here, so I assumed the drop was due to the temp.

Should I run the SWG 24 hrs a day until the temps go down or simply supplement with bleach as needed each morning?
    In Ground, Free Form 17 X 36, Vinyl Liner
    18,000 Gallons
    SWG
    Installation Date: Feb. 2009

6. Back To Top    #6

If your FC level is going too low with a SWG you should turn up the percentage setting. If you are already at 100 percent, you can either increase the pump run time, or manually supplement with additional chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, Already at 100%. I will increase the run time and supplement as needed. This is our second summer and so far it is much hotter than last year.
    18,000 Gallons
    SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

MIT43 you might have another problem if your drop in FC was overnight.
    18X38 Grecian 26000 gallon In Ground Vinyl. Goldline AuqaRite SWG with a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Triton 2 Sand Filter Two main drains with 4 main returns with 2 more returns on the swimout and two skimmers. Polaris 380

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree, if you are at 100% and that much loss was overnight, even with the SWG on, then you probably have organics consuming the chlorine as it is produced, and you are just one step ahead from an algae bloom.

I would do an overnight test with the SWG off and if you lose more than 1ppm you should shock the pool with bleach.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks.

For the overnight test do I test after the sun sets or wait until it is completely dark?
    18,000 Gallons
    SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

When the sun sets is fine, just no sun shine on the pool.
    18X38 Grecian 26000 gallon In Ground Vinyl. Goldline AuqaRite SWG with a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Triton 2 Sand Filter Two main drains with 4 main returns with 2 more returns on the swimout and two skimmers. Polaris 380

12. Back To Top    #12

I did the overnight test and seem to be within the guidelines. I assume the chlorine loss must be related to the extreme heat we have been experiencing.

Over night FC loss was 1ppm from 7.2 to 6.2. Everything else is within guidelines and the water is clear.

FC 6.2
    CC .2
    TC 6.4
    PH 7.4
    CYA 65
    TA 80
    Salt 3800
    CH 160
    18,000 Gallons
    SWG