Just getting started with the TF100 - Pool needs MAJOR help!

Jun 19, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi all,

I just got my TF-100 kit as recommended by the folks here. Struggling with my pool chemistry all last summer and starting off with trouble getting the algae and cloudiness under control this year indicates I need to change my strategy. Hoping the guidance here and the BBB method will help me turn things around.

At the moment, I am running the filter/vacuum about 10 hours per night and the pool is blue (after lots of granular chlorine), but a little cloudy.

I made a mistake and dumped the water for the FC test before testing for CC and TC (chose not to burn another 58 drops to re-run it tonight), but have some preliminary numbers and they don't look good. Not sure which issues to tackle first...

FC = 29
CC = ??
TC = ?? (chlorine test from my cheap kit was off the chart yesterday)
pH = 7.2
TA = 600+ ( I stopped adding drops after that)
CH = 600+ (I stopped adding drops after that)
CYA = 100+ ( couldn't see the dot well before it hit 100, since it looks like a log scale on the vial I can't say for sure, but I am guessing 200-300)
Temp = 106 for a high today, about 96 when I tested

I know these numbers are all pretty bad (except maybe pH, which isn't too far off). I'm hoping the experts here can help me figure out which problem to address first and how.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to be coming another TFP/BBB success story!

Hi and welcome :)

Where are you located?

You are going to have to replace much of your water... unless you are in an area where reverse osmosis treatments are available. How's the water table where you are?

When you do the TA test, wipe the tip of the R-0009 dropper bottle with a damp cloth in between each drop, to eliminate possible static electricity that could be causing it to read higher than it really is.

So since draining and refilling or R/O are your only two options at this point, that's where you need to start. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

There are 2 effective ways to lower CYA, drain and replace or professional reverse osmosis treatment which is available in very few areas. We have a member here that does reverse Osmosis treatment in So Cal.

Ike

Thanks for the fast responses!

I am in Phoenix, so not sure if RO is an option, but I can investigate. Any tips for the drain and refill (which looks like it may be inevitable)?

As for the wiping the tip of the R-0009 dropper, I did fail to do that, but will next time. Thanks for explaining the rationale behind that.

azeker1 said:
Thanks for the fast responses!

I am in Phoenix, so not sure if RO is an option, but I can investigate. Any tips for the drain and refill (which looks like it may be inevitable)?

As for the wiping the tip of the R-0009 dropper, I did fail to do that, but will next time. Thanks for explaining the rationale behind that.
Phoenix has R/O available. Simicrintz can give you a name.

Thanks, everyone!

Does anyone have a ballpark idea of how much R/O might cost for a 15,000 gallon pool? That volume is just an estimate, as that information did not come with the house when I bought it a year ago (and the company the previous owner had build the pool has long since gone under). Unfortunately, different calculators give me wildly different numbers. I am using the "oblong" calculations, here: http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/resources/calculators/pool-volume-calc/poolcalc.htm, as that image most closely matches the shape of my pool (mine has a few more curves, but this is pretty close). If anyone has a better formula/calculator, I'd be happy to take a look.

The name of the outfit in Phoenix that does the R/O treatment is Calsaway (www.calsaway.com). If you decide to contact them, tell them you saw them on TFP! They offer free estimates, so it should be pretty simple to get accurate information on their process and pricing.

I saw your numbers last night and was amazed at how high they are :shock: Good for you for paying attention and acting to get a handle on this :cheers:

Thanks, Bruce! I sent them an email, so hopefully I will hear back before too long.

I could tell something was seriously wrong with my pool chemistry, but the cheapo pool test kit I inherited with the pool and the "advanced" pool store tests (and their staff) weren't much help. Based on the way my pool was behaving, I feared my CYA was out-of-control (and who knew what else), so I ordered the TF-100 to try to really figure out what was going on. Unfortunately, it was as bad as I feared, but at least now, thanks to the kind folks here, I think I'll be able to get things straightened out eventually.

Once I am back on track, I am going to try the BBB method and see if I can avoid these issues in the future!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in Phoenix too and I'm having an R/O treatment done next week by Calsaway. My CYA levels were way off the chart like yours. They have fixed pricing based on the size of your pool and it includes the initial chemicals to bring the treated water up to snuff for chlorine, pH, and CYA. I do intend to ask them what numbers they're shooting for before I let them add anything, especially for the CYA. I guesstimate that it's going to cost me a couple hundred $ more than a drain/refill but I like the idea of not wasting so much water plus it's safer and easier on the pool given the current heat.

GrumpyDave said:
I'm in Phoenix too and I'm having an R/O treatment done next week by Calsaway. My CYA levels were way off the chart like yours. They have fixed pricing based on the size of your pool and it includes the initial chemicals to bring the treated water up to snuff for chlorine, pH, and CYA. I do intend to ask them what numbers they're shooting for before I let them add anything, especially for the CYA. I guesstimate that it's going to cost me a couple hundred $ more than a drain/refill but I like the idea of not wasting so much water plus it's safer and easier on the pool given the current heat.

Good for you :goodjob: While they have not done a treatment for me, I know what to expect and what you will be getting back when they are done :cool: Not only is all the above true, but you will also be getting a much better water quality in terms of hardness than you could possibly be getting from your water company; something a drain and refill cannot achieve!

Please let us know how it all turns out :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.