Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: too much salt...help!

1. Back To Top    #1

too much salt...help!

yikes, we added our salt over the weekend to get our 30 day old gunite pool to 3000ppm.
    everything going well....
    I called PB and told him, he said they were going to come this week to do it...so i saved them the step.
    BUT...they came anyways today while we were away and added another 600lbs of salt, so now we are at ~6000 ppm.
    this seems like it is bordering on corosive.
    should i drain some of the pool (like 25%) to bring it down to a reasonable level or not worry about it?
    thanks!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: too much salt...help!

You will have to drain it to get to the range that the SWG can tolerate (assuming 6000 is out of that range)
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Some brands of SWG will require you to lower the salt level before they will work properly. Others are fine with high salt levels. However, even if the SWG is fine with it, I would bring it down at least a little. 6,000 ppm of salt is getting close to the range where salt corrosion just starts to be an issue. 5,000 is a much safer level for corrosion issues.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks!
    ok, now at 4900ppm. feeling much better with it <5000.
    we drained ~1.5ft (i'd say ~15%).
    any thing else we need to think about? chemicals seem in balance (cya seemed to drop to ~35 though so added more in the skimmer sock)

5. Back To Top    #5

The recommended CYA level with a SWG is between 70 and 80.

If you post a full set of water test results we can give you better advice. Without that, or something else to go on, it is difficult to know what else to say.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks Jason...
    here are the #s from our ~40day old gunite pool:

TA: 100
    FC: 6.5
    TC: 6.5 (SWG set at 50%, i just lowered it to 40%)
    CH: 275
    CYA: 35 (just added 2lbs of CYA, will add 2lbs more tomorrow)
    PH: 7.3
    Saline: 3900ppm (surprised it came down that much)
    Temp: 84F