Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach adding procedure

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach adding procedure

I'm about to take my inline chlorinator offline and switch to bleach, but there is one piece of info I can't seem to find. I'm sure it's here, but I'm having no luck. Anyway, I want to try to add around the same time each day and with my schedule, that'll end up being late evenings, probably after the pump has turned off for the night. I know I should have the pump running when I add and pour in front of a return, but do I need to leave the pump running for any length of time after adding?

Thanks!
    15K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump; Pentair CC200 (200 sf. cartridge filter); 3/4 HP booster pump; Polaris 280; Levolor Electronic Water Leveler

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach adding procedure

You need to run the pump at least an hour after adding chemicals including bleach.
    32x16 ft Grecian rectangular vinyl pool 8ft on deep end - 19000 gal. 18" Hayward S-240 sand filter. 250K BTU Pentair MasterTemp heater. Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

You should leave the pump running enough to mix the water. An hour should be good enough. Sounds like you might be a candidate for a liquidator or SWCG. That way you don't have to worry about adding it when the pumps running. It's added automatically while the pump is running.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought that might be the case, just couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks!

I've been doing a little reading up on the liquidator and it is something I want to do. I want to wait until I get the hang of this first.
    15K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump; Pentair CC200 (200 sf. cartridge filter); 3/4 HP booster pump; Polaris 280; Levolor Electronic Water Leveler

5. Back To Top    #5

Can someone expand on what you mean by "liquidator"?
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Maytronics Dolphin pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

The Liquidator is a device that adds bleach/liquid chlorine to the pool slowly any time the pump is running.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School