Pump location?

My equipment is in an old steel shed I had in the backyard. I had moved up to nice big wooden shed (too much Crud of course) and never took it down. Kind of glad I didn't as it works great for this purpose.

I have an AGP non IG just for your info and my shed is about 50 feet away from the pool (digging that trench was AWFUL!!)

No pics at this time as I all of mine seem to be too big to upload to the site.

Greg

Thanks Greg for writing back. Here are few pictures that I photoshoped to get an idea of Pool Placement in my backyeard. I am no Photoshop expert so sorry for the rough picture;

Poollocation1.jpg

Poollocation2.jpg

The yellow square box is where I'm thinking the pump could be placed. Any input would be appreciated!

PumpLocation.jpg

GCS said:
My equipment is in an old steel shed I had in the backyard. I had moved up to nice big wooden shed (too much **** of course) and never took it down. Kind of glad I didn't as it works great for this purpose.

I have an AGP non IG just for your info and my shed is about 50 feet away from the pool (digging that trench was AWFUL!!)

No pics at this time as I all of mine seem to be too big to upload to the site.

Greg

Greg, go to www.photoshop.com and upload your photos there for free. Once they are on that site, you can change the sixe to the Large option. Or you can use your own software like Photoshop to resize the picture so that it can be posted. Around 641 x 429 pixels would work.

I wouldn't go there personally as it would be visible from the street (eyesore IMHO) and would be next to your neighbor's house.

Why not put it in the upper left corner of pic 1 where there is some sort of box thing? It would be out of the way, shaded, and in the rear of the yard so less noise for you and your neighbor. Do you have other plans for this spot? Or perhaps on the far right side of pic 1 (no idea what is there).

I think the key is to have it somewhere away from everything for noise purposes as well as looks but also out of direct sunlight.

Personally I am glad I took everyone's advice here and tossed my stuff in the shed that way I don't see it or hear it at all and it is protected from the elements.

Be sure that you get a proper rated pump if you intend to travel a decent distance. Also I cannot stress enough to go with a 2 speed pump. Again these are recommendations from others on this site.

Greg

Yeah I thought about placing it back in the corner. Just have to be careful because that box is an electrical supply box. Being placed back there would keep it in the shade until the afternoon as well as not so close to the deck.
I was trying not to run the electric line too far from the house, but I guess this would not be a problem. Maybe over time I could add some kind of landscaping that could better hide it.

Ours is located on the side of our home, just around the corner out of eyesight from the view of the pool. We have built a small little cover that is an extension of our roof to cover the equipment because it was taking a beating from the weather. The little roof has helped loads & highly recommend a little roof extension over your equipment. The little roof also covers the electrical box for the pool equip. In fact if you read the material that comes with the pump and other equipment it may state that it needs to be in a covered location.

What about placing the pump here where the red arrow is? It'll be on the other side of the bay windows.

pumplocation2.jpg

My only concern is, will there be enough hp from the pumping station to the pool area? The pump will be a Hayward with 1 hp. I could get the 1.5 at no cost but I was trying to save on electricity. The filter system is sand and I will be going with a Salt generator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where is your power meter located? That was a factor when we built our pool. The farther from the meter the more it cost for the electric run. I think I would put it along that back fence and screen it with some shrubs or fencing. You could put in a remote switch for convenience.

Shane1 said:
Where is your power meter located? That was a factor when we built our pool. The farther from the meter the more it cost for the electric run. I think I would put it along that back fence and screen it with some shrubs or fencing. You could put in a remote switch for convenience.

The meter is not too far from where that arrow is.

Shane1 said:
Is that it on left corner of the house? It looks like you have a pretty good setup. You should be able to put it just about anywhere and be happy with it.
Does that big electric box in the back corner provide service to your house?

Yes, the meter box is on the left corner of the house along with gas and cable.
Yeah that big electric green box supplies electricity to my house, the street light and the neighbors. The under ground electric cable runs from that box beside my fence to the front and along the back fence to the next junction box. I had Miss Utility come out and mark all the lines so I would know where I should position the pool.
I really appreciate all the help here. My husband thinks by placing the pump where the red arrow is would be too far from the pool area. I told him that you guys felt it should be just fine. He thinks we should just be able to plug it in to the outlet on the deck....I told him that I think a new box would have to be installed for the pump. Am I correct?

Try to get the company selling you the pool to upgrade you to a 1.5hp 2 speed pump. Run it on low when you don't need the extra power. Surely they can work with you on this. I think the 2 speed pump is worth the extra $$. One website that I have shopped has a price difference of $119.00 between the Hayward Max Flo II 1.5 HP 1 speed and the same model in a 2 speed. I believe there was a thread under the "filtration" index on when it's appropriate to run the pump on full speed. It may not be necessary to run the pump on full speed all the time.

Also...I agree to set your system up in the shade. That area looks to be nice spot out of the way. We set up on a concrete slab at the corner of our home.

Good luck

I'd be trying to put it by the arrow. The AC is already there making noise, so it won't be an issue. I'd guess that's the back side of the garage?

JohnT said:
I'd be trying to put it by the arrow. The AC is already there making noise, so it won't be an issue. I'd guess that's the back side of the garage?

That area where the arrow is the backside of a walk in mud room. It does lead out to the garage in the front. It's where my washer, dryer, freezer and pantry is.
You are right about placing the pump in that area with the A/C already making noise there. We could build something to house the pump to keep it out of the weather.

As far as getting a two speed 1 hp pump, it's too late. I've already changed the order once and I would hate to call and change it again. It's probably getting processed now and will be a matter of time before I get the tracking notification.

I did read on here where a guy in TX runs his only during the day while the sun is shining on his pool. Do you guys feel this is a good idea?

Our little pump house is all covered over with polycarb and located in the far corner of the property. We bought an intelliflo and although its an amazing bit of gear, it does not like being exposed to the elements at all (its got a fan that easily sucks water into the electronics if you dont cover it).

Either way, with such great gear available now, id be inlclined to say covers are pretty important.

http://users.tpg.com.au/srkh//cover.JPG

steve

SteveH said:
Our little pump house is all covered over with polycarb and located in the far corner of the property. We bought an intelliflo and although its an amazing bit of gear, it does not like being exposed to the elements at all (its got a fan that easily sucks water into the electronics if you dont cover it).

Either way, with such great gear available now, id be inlclined to say covers are pretty important.

http://users.tpg.com.au/srkh//cover.JPG

steve

Steve, where did you get the materials for your pump house?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.