Just filled my pool up

Aug 6, 2008
Richardson, TX
Hello, I just finished draining and cleaning my pool. It is about 6 inches from full right now and still filling up. Below are my test results
FC 0
PH 8
TA 120
CYA 0

I just need to bounce off what i think i learned using the pool calculator.

I am going to add 29 ounces of Muratic acid to lower my PH from 8 to 7.5 then I am going to add 261 ounces of 6% bleach to rais my FC from 0 to 7 tonight (testing it each morning until i realize what the drop is each night)

I know my CYA is way low, it says add 96 ounces by wweight or 249 ounces liquid of stabilizer. this is where i am stuck. what can i use as stabilizer? i read pool school and it says Cyanuric acid but i am not sure where to get that.

Am i missing anything else that needs to be done? With no chlorine right now because it is filling up the water is a very faint shade of green/blue. super clear for now.

Any advice is appreciated.

Stabilizer can also be called "conditioner". Get some chlorine and CYA in it as soon as you can circulate the pump---and let her run! Powder stabilizer should go in the skimmer or in a sock in fromt of the return jet. NOT just dumped in front of a jet. Don't ask me how I know this! (It was an experiment that failed). You can drop PH to 7.2 btw.

Nope! the CYA won't show up as an "accurate" test level for a few days at least-don't worry about it. Just add chlorine to the target level of the CYA and see how it works. I personally add another 2 parts of chlorine here in Texas over the target level cause this good old sun (if your pool has full sun all day) is gonna eat it like chocolate. My CYA level is 50 btw.

good to know. I wont retest for a few days. If i retest and i am still not at 40 or 50, but low, what harm does that do? i read everything i could find but couldn't see what harm low CYA does. The reason i ask is i had a problem a few years ago with really high CYA after i bought the house. a little skiddish of getting it too high now

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.