Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The pool has a green tint to it

1. Back To Top    #1

The pool has a green tint to it

I have a 40 to 50 year old plaster pool 18' x 36'
    I am estimating my capacity at 24,000 gallons.

Using the hth 6-WAY test kit i get:

TA 100
    PH 6.8 (at most)
    total Chlorine above 5

The pool has a green tint to it.

From the given levels that I read I believe I should only being trying to raise the PH and keep the TA in check.

If I add borax will I not be also raising the TA? Should I add the amount of borax in divided increments as opposed to all at once?

Also CH is 220. I added a calcium chloride product called Prestone Driveway Heat. I felt a little uneasy doing this but the manufacturer said it is around 92% - 94% calcium chloride.

Could the low hardness level be a cause for the pools cloudiness?

Thanks for your help

Sam
    Pool size: 24,000 gallons
    Pool condition: 60 year old inground plaster pool. both inbound pipes are no longer working. Plaster is old. use vacuum hose as inbound line.
    Pool pump: hayward SP2607X10;spec says 40-54 GPM
    Pool Filter: sand filter, 62 GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The pool has a green tint to it

Yes, you will raise TA *slightly* as well as pH with Borax. The only reliable way to increase pH with no increase of TA is aeration. Your TA is really not unmanageably high and you can ignore the small rise in TA.

It is unlikely that low hardness would cause cloudiness. The calcium chloride you used is fine.

If it is green and cloudy you have algae and need to shock. Based on your low pH I assume that you chlorinate with pucks. Could you verify this and also provide a full set of numbers including FC, CC, and CYA.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes. I have a chlorinator and have 7 3'' pucks in it right now.
    --------------------------------------------------
    My test kit only has the TC test. When I test it is above the highest number 5.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Today is 6/23.

ON 6/18 I went to pool store A. They said
    TC = 0.0
    FC = 0.0
    PH = 6.8
    TA = 30
    CH = 110
    CYA = 25

ON 6/18 I added 7 new 3" pucks to the chlorinator. I was using year old pucks previiously

ON 6/18 in the evening I added 9.5 lbs of calcium chloride

On 6/20 I went to pool store B. They said
    TC = 7.0
    FC = 7.0
    PH = 7.6
    TA = 100
    CH = 180
    CYA = 50

On either 6/21 or 6/22 the pool was still green We shocked the pool by using 3 1lb bags of shock.

Should we be brushing the sides and bottom every day?

Thanks.
    Pool size: 24,000 gallons
    Pool condition: 60 year old inground plaster pool. both inbound pipes are no longer working. Plaster is old. use vacuum hose as inbound line.
    Pool pump: hayward SP2607X10;spec says 40-54 GPM
    Pool Filter: sand filter, 62 GPM

4. Back To Top    #4

You should get your own test kit. As you see from the wildly different pool store tests you don't know what to believe.

Now I'm going to do a little correcting here. You said you shocked by using 3 bags of shock. If you stick around here you soon learn that shock is a process not a product, regardless what they call it. So what you did was added some "shock" to your pool.

And now to answer your question. Yes you should be brushing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by goldfs
    Yes. I have a chlorinator and have 7 3'' pucks in it right now.
    --------------------------------------------------
    My test kit only has the TC test. When I test it is above the highest number 5.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Today is 6/23.

ON 6/18 I went to pool store A. They said
    CYA = 25

On 6/20 I went to pool store B. They said
    CYA = 50

On either 6/21 or 6/22 the pool was still green We shocked the pool by using 3 1lb bags of shock.
    Your CYA is raising fast. You need to stop using power or tabs to shock your poor.
    Otherwise your CYA will get too high and you have to partial drain the pool to get
    it down.

If you haven't done so, please spend some time reading the pool school:
    pool-school/

Pay attention to the relationship between CYA and chlorine part.

Basically, you need to switch to liquid chlorine to shock the pool. Please check
    your CYA level again and report back. If that 3 lbs of shock is what I think
    it is, you might have the CYA up to 70 already. That is too high.

It is likely you have too much CYA to make chlorine less effective. If you
    have proper CYA and chlorine level, the chlorine should do most of the
    work to prevent the algae growing.

It is good idea to get a quality test kit like TF100 so you can do the
    test yourself.
    15x32 vinyl, IG,17K gal, DE filter, Hayward 3/4 HP pump, Hayward Ultra Vac, Solar cover with reel
    SportCount LapCounter, FINIS SwiMP3.1G
    Enjoying my pool thanks to TFP.com

6. Back To Top    #6

The fact that your FC went to zero is another indication that you need to shock and also points at algae.

Regardless of what the pool store would lead you to believe, shock is not a product. I recommend that you read the pool school article about shocking your pool (link in my sig).

If we assume your CYA is 50 your shock level is 20. This means you have to bring your FC up to 20, and keep it there (by testing and adding chlorine) until you are done (clear, CC < .5, overnight loss < 1.0).

This will be a problem because your test kit can't measure that high. You have seen first hand how pool stores testing is so unreliable. To shock your pool and really to take control of your pool in general, you should really get a good FAS/DPD test kit (TF-100 recommended).

...and yes, regular brushing is an integral part of the shock process.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator