Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid - Calling all Chemistry Majors!

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid - Calling all Chemistry Majors!

Hello All, So I've got some light mineral build up on the block that rims the upper edge of my pool above the water line. And I've also got some mysterious very heavy spots (the build up and the spots look to be the same thing). The spots are mysterious because they are in random places above the water line, they're not near any jets or returns, not in any corners or crevices etc., and they appear to bleed downward from the main area that is about 2-3 inches across. Almost like the minerals are is oozing from spots on the block.

My father in law said "hit it with some of that muriatic acid". So I put some in a spray bottle (had gloves on and was VERY careful with it) and hit the heavy spots. The acid seemed to fizz a lot when sprayed on the mineral spots, but not so much when sprayed on places with less buildup.

So here are my questions: Could I potentially be hurting anything besides screwing up my Ph a little bit? Is muriatic acid a good thing to be using on these spots or is there something better? What makes it fizz like that?

Thanks for all the help.

Jim.
    In ground Pool, 13,000 gallons, Cartridge filter (big), Single pump, Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite
    Central Florida
    Miller Lite
    Tony Stewart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid - Calling all Chemistry Majors!

Treating with muriatic is the normal procedure.

The fizzing is the reaction of the acid with the mineral, which is probably a calcium compound.

You may want to check into your water chemistry to see if you have excess hardness in the pool water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you post a pic of the buildup and a full set of test results.

It sounds like calcium scaling and that would explain the fizzing but a photo and test results will help us more.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey Bama, I definitely have high calcium. I posted part of my problems herehttp://www.troublefreepool.com/pucks...um-t23643.html.

Posting my numbers at this point is useless until I can drain/refill and get my CYA and hardness under control. Gonna do that starting tomorrow.

I'll take a picture and post tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Jim.
    In ground Pool, 13,000 gallons, Cartridge filter (big), Single pump, Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite
    Central Florida
    Miller Lite
    Tony Stewart

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually your numbers wouldn't have been useless but you told us what we needed to know. That your CH is high. Muriatic acid is the drug of choice on calcium scaling. Just be careful using it and keep an eye on your pH.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Should the Muriatic acid be applied full strength or diluted? If diluted, what strength is recommended?
    20,000 gallon gunite pool, attached spa, Pebblesheen finish, Paramount PCC-2000 infloor cleaning system, Paramount ClearO3 ozone system, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo 1HP cleaner pump, StaRite cartridge filter, StaRite heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Could be anywhere from 6:1(light deposit and time available) water/acid to 3:1 (in a hurry/heavy deposits)

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.