What size pool do I need?

Jun 22, 2010
I realize this is mainly a personal decision, but it is hard to picture what the actual size difference is! I am definitely going with an oval AGP with a 7' deep end, probably either 18x33 or 18x40. Either will fit in my yard and there is not a huge price difference. We are just a family of 3, but I am sure my daughter will want to have friends over and we may want to have (small) parties at the pool. Any idea how many people can comfortably swim/play in each of these sizes? Is the 18x33 too short for a deep end?

I agree, if the $$ is available you will be glad you spent it. I have an 18x33 and it is much bigger than the pics had let on, and it was a good size as my backyard layout would not accomidate a larger pool after the decking was built. 6 adults can play volleyball and be comfortable with wiggle room. We have a good 3 ft on the backside of our deep end for standing, but you will be looking at up to an additional 7 ft if you go bigger depending wher you dig your hopper. Children usually huddle together in the shallow area from my experience and hit each other with fun noodles. Speaking of parties and other peoples children, you will want to lay some ground rules with parents. It's best to have them stay at the party to help supervise their children in case an accident happens. 7ft is still not a safe depth for horseplay or diving. Don't let yourself and your pool become the neighborhood sitter.

Bama Rambler said:
No one has ever said "I wish I had a smaller pool".
Not true...I say that all the time. My 30x17 rectangular pool almost completely fills my backyard. If I could replace it I would do smaller in all dimensions and kidney shaped to give a larger patio area....and a baja shelf...and a nicer surface...and better plumbing...

I'm inclined to agree -- I'd like a smaller pool, too, because it takes up so much of my yard.

Mine is sunk only 1'; I'd sink it at least 2', maybe more if I could. I have an 8'+ deepend and I like that.

New 27' AGP and we are thrilled. We couldn't go bigger due to space. Would I go smaller ... yes once the kids are gone and it is just me and the wife but that is 10+ years from now.

Once the kids get bigger (a few years) I am sure I will be doing a liner replacement and digging it down some to try and get to a depth of at least 5' using an expandable liner. That is the only thing missing from our pool now but the kids are still small and I want them to be able to stand in the pool safely.

Greg

BTW, there are different styles of deep ends. My shallow end is only about 12' of the 32' length before it starts to slope. I have a "hopper" style deep end (looks like an pyramid with the top cut off and then inverted). Around the perimeter of the pool in the deep end, there is a 12" wide area that's the same depth as the shallow end so that people can stand there if needed. The deepest part of the pool is 8' deep, but it's only that deep for a 4' x 4' area.

Thanks for all the input. I decided to go with the 40' pool, mainly because of the larger shallow end. I know there is a lot of debate about whether a pool with no deep end is more usable. With the dig specs on the fitted liner the 40' pool has a 25' shallow end which should be great for volleyball, etc.

Shorelover said:
BTW, there are different styles of deep ends. My shallow end is only about 12' of the 32' length before it starts to slope.

My pool is 32' with a much smaller shallow end than 12'; actually very little shallow end as it starts slanting down at the shallow end wall, a few feet out from the end and many people are over their heads. I've been a "fish" all my life but I would like more shallow end space and less abrupt slope down to deep that starts so soon in shallow end, even more so if we had youngsters around. An abrupt drop to deep end is okay if there is enough shallow end though. We've never used the "safety" rope, with floats, that basically warns people where the shallow end stops, because of the dogs swimming. But in my pool, virtually anyone less than 5'6" would be almost over their heads where the rope would go across. I think this is the one major design flaw in my pool. (It came with the house.)

My pool is not a true oval. It squares and widens going towards shallow, from the oval deep end. In the deep end the width is not even the 16 ft that it is in the shallow end. Two floats are not able to float around as well in the deep end as well as in the shallow; like it is a little crowded width wise.

If you are a strong swimmer 32' is barely acceptable for laps. Now that I have a torn rotator cuff tendon I can't do most swim strokes for laps so 32' is okay....... I guess.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.