pH too low, Chlorine too high?

Oct 9, 2009
Southern CA
Preparing pool for 1wk of vacation. avg chlorine loss/day is 2ppm, pH rises on avg 0.1 per day. I don't want to bother other people to add chemicals in midweek. I only have bleach. Is it bad for the pool and equipment to start the vacation with a pH of 6.8 and Chlorine level of 17 so that at the end of 1wk, both numbers are at the min acceptable range?
(CSI will be -0.62 with pH of 6.8. Chlorine shock level is 15.)

other numbers: temp 80, TA 90, CH 360, CYA 40.

Thanks.

irvinenewbie said:
Preparing pool for 1wk of vacation. avg chlorine loss/day is 2ppm, pH rises on avg 0.1 per day. I don't want to bother other people to add chemicals in midweek. I only have bleach. Is it bad for the pool and equipment to start the vacation with a pH of 6.8 and Chlorine level of 17 so that at the end of 1wk, both numbers are at the min acceptable range?
(CSI will be -0.62 with pH of 6.8. Chlorine shock level is 15.)

other numbers: temp 80, TA 90, CH 360, CYA 40.

Thanks.
Why not ask someone to come by and check things? Ask someone who'll be wanting to get invited over during the next heat wave. Besides chemicals, the water level may need to be raised.

I wonder if driving the TA down beforehand wouldn't slow the pH rise. I'd be afraid of messing up the finish by pushing pH down that low, but I'm no expert.

You could boost the chlorine, or, since you have a little margin on the CYA and could use a tablet floater.

Let's wait and see what the brains say.

Very little brains involved here but I think you have a good plan if you can get no one to do an interim dosage.

pH of 6.8 for a day is simply not low enough, long enough to cause any harm. We typically see pH reports quite a bit lower for MUCH longer and no apparent damage.

From what I've seen, I think most here would agree with your plan. Jack up the chlorine level with bleach, raise the water level a little higher than normal on the skimmer, and float a few pucks to boot. That's gonna be my plan!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.