Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: pH too low, Chlorine too high?

pH too low, Chlorine too high?

Preparing pool for 1wk of vacation. avg chlorine loss/day is 2ppm, pH rises on avg 0.1 per day. I don't want to bother other people to add chemicals in midweek. I only have bleach. Is it bad for the pool and equipment to start the vacation with a pH of 6.8 and Chlorine level of 17 so that at the end of 1wk, both numbers are at the min acceptable range?
    (CSI will be -0.62 with pH of 6.8. Chlorine shock level is 15.)

other numbers: temp 80, TA 90, CH 360, CYA 40.

Thanks.
    Irregularly shaped IG pool with aggregates of squares and rectangles, spa overflows to pool
    21K gallon, Pebble tec, 450 sq ft, 125 GPM cartridge filter, 1hp pump, 1.5hp booster pump, Jandy heater,
    2 skimmers, 2 main drains, Hayward Navigator automatic vacuum connected to one of the skimmers

Re: pH too low, Chlorine too high?

Quote Originally Posted by irvinenewbie
    Preparing pool for 1wk of vacation. avg chlorine loss/day is 2ppm, pH rises on avg 0.1 per day. I don't want to bother other people to add chemicals in midweek. I only have bleach. Is it bad for the pool and equipment to start the vacation with a pH of 6.8 and Chlorine level of 17 so that at the end of 1wk, both numbers are at the min acceptable range?
    (CSI will be -0.62 with pH of 6.8. Chlorine shock level is 15.)

other numbers: temp 80, TA 90, CH 360, CYA 40.

Thanks.
    Why not ask someone to come by and check things? Ask someone who'll be wanting to get invited over during the next heat wave. Besides chemicals, the water level may need to be raised.

I wonder if driving the TA down beforehand wouldn't slow the pH rise. I'd be afraid of messing up the finish by pushing pH down that low, but I'm no expert.

You could boost the chlorine, or, since you have a little margin on the CYA and could use a tablet floater.

Let's wait and see what the brains say.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Senior Member In the Industry

Very little brains involved here but I think you have a good plan if you can get no one to do an interim dosage.

pH of 6.8 for a day is simply not low enough, long enough to cause any harm. We typically see pH reports quite a bit lower for MUCH longer and no apparent damage.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

From what I've seen, I think most here would agree with your plan. Jack up the chlorine level with bleach, raise the water level a little higher than normal on the skimmer, and float a few pucks to boot. That's gonna be my plan!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!