Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please, consider your neighbors!

1. Back To Top    #1

Please, consider your neighbors!

This is pool related, but I don't really think it belongs anywhere else, and I had to tell this story!

As some of you know, we've been putting up an AGP in our backyard for the past couple weeks. Well, our neighbors also have one in their backyard, and the pools are ~300 feet apart. The distance between is important, trust me!

Anyways, we were working out there a few days ago, when all of a sudden I smelled something, something disturbing. After around 10 minutes of smelling it, my nose started to burn a little. I kept thinking, 'I've smelled this before, but where?'

Finally, it hit me. I DID know that smell! It's what our public pool always smells like! That strong, irritating smell of CC's!

Apparently, when the wind is blowing just right, we get the smell over here.
    Well, since then, we've gotten the pleasure of smelling it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since their pool is so cloudy you can't even see your fingertips with just your hand in the water, there's more than likely no end in sight.

I kinda wanna go over there and dump some bleach in for a few nights. Maybe, just maybe, it might help. A little.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please, consider your neighbors!

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar85
    Anyways, we were working out there a few days ago, when all of a sudden I smelled something, something disturbing. After around 10 minutes of smelling it, my nose started to burn a little. I kept thinking, 'I've smelled this before, but where?'
    I thought you were leading up to what I smell occasionally from my neighbors....someone burning a hemp rope or something.

The only thing my neighbors smell from my side of the fence is mesquite smoke.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

No, we smell that almost every day from a house down the road...so nothing new there.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15

4. Back To Top    #4

I've thought of printing some TFP logo business cards with the web address on it to anonymously leave in peoples mailbox.

Maybe, just maybe they'll convert....LOL
    Or suffer.
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Neighbors?? I cant see any..
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I thought you were leading up to what I smell occasionally from my neighbors....someone burning a hemp rope or something.

The only thing my neighbors smell from my side of the fence is mesquite smoke.
    Oregano...they're burning oregano..

What's funny is burning oregano DOES smell exactly like hemp rope burning. I used to work in a pizza place, and we wrapped up some in a napkin once, lit it, and laid it in an ashtray. Our manager came flying back to the storeroom to catch whoever was smoking some tree..
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The things I learn on this forum everyday continue to amaze me!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

CC's? I know im missing something very simple here lol
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

9. Back To Top    #9

This is pool related, but I don't really think it belongs anywhere else, and I had to tell this story!

As some of you know, we've been putting up an AGP in our backyard for the past couple weeks. Well, our neighbors also have one in their backyard, and the pools are ~300 feet apart. The distance between is important, trust me!

Finally, it hit me. I DID know that smell! It's what our public pool always smells like! That strong, irritating smell of CC's!

Apparently, when the wind is blowing just right, we get the smell over here.
    Well, since then, we've gotten the pleasure of smelling it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since their pool is so cloudy you can't even see your fingertips with just your hand in the water, there's more than likely no end in sight.

I kinda wanna go over there and dump some bleach in for a few nights. Maybe, just maybe, it might help. A little.
    Have you tried to go talk to them and help them out?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by britinusa
    CC's? I know im missing something very simple here lol
    From the pool school Definitions and Abbreviations

CC
    Combined Chlorine

The stuff that smells like chlorine and burns your eyes that you get rid of by shocking your pool.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    I don't really think they care. They seem perfectly happy with the pool store, their pucks, the cloudy water, AND replacing their liner every year or so (because the pool store told them they had to) not to mention they really don't like accepting help from others.

I'm hoping once our pool is filled and balanced I can get them to come over and 'just happen' to look at it. Maybe the light will come on.
    John

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    I don't really think they care. They seem perfectly happy with the pool store, their pucks, the cloudy water, AND replacing their liner every year or so (because the pool store told them they had to) not to mention they really don't like accepting help from others.

I'm hoping once our pool is filled and balanced I can get them to come over and 'just happen' to look at it. Maybe the light will come on.
    I see. Well when you are ready throw a ball over the fence when they are back there and have them toss it back. Hopefully they will see it.

13. Back To Top    #13

Good Luck Cheddar...
    You'd think that people would want their pools to look like ours...but, alas, everyone's an expert.
    You just do your thing and the proof will be in your back yard...

Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I think the only thing I need to worry about at this point is, if I could get them to visit here, I'm gonna have to delete this topic! I don't wanna know what they'd say if they saw it!
    John