hole in vinyl - got repair kit, but couldn't do it right

ffly

Jun 18, 2010
I got a hole on the bottom, about 1.5' wide. I bought a vinyl repair kit from Leslie's and tried to patch the hole. It didn't work very well. The hole has been there for at least a few days. The bottom right under the hole kind of sinked a bit. When I put on the first patch, the patch was like pressured down. And the edge of the patch just could not be glued to the bottom. I tried a second patch, which is bigger than the first one, hoping to cover the first, making the patch stronger and sealing edge. Again, the edge of the second patch wouldn't stick to the floor. And when I tried to press the patches flat using my hand, both patches got losen up. Any tips? Do I need to hire a professional?

Welcome to TFP!!

You can always use the 'search' function at the top of the page (kind of under the left side of the pool pic in the banner) to see if someone has asked a similar question before. :)

This thread has been active the past few days and gives tips on applying a patch to a liner pool :cool:

If you need more info, we'll be here to help :goodjob:

Hi Ted, thanks for your reply! I did see that post, but still started a new post 'cause I thought my questions were different. I've followed the instructions you posted in that post. But I couldn't get the patch edge glued to the pool bottom. Today I checked the patch again. The center portion seems glued well, but the outside part is loose. I plan to use a pair of scissors to cut off the loose part and then put on a third patch, if I can find out how to glue the edge down well. Any tips?

I have another question. When I put the patch on, I felt that the ground right under the hole (about one palm size) sank maybe half inch. And the patch was pressed down. My guess is because I left the hole there for a few days, the sand or whatever material under the torn liner got sucked out. Have you seen this before? Do I need to add in some kind of material to fill that space so that a new patch does not get collapsed? Thanks!!

You are wise beyond your few posts :cheers:

You have a good grasp as to what's going on :goodjob:

The best tip I can give you is to use the wallpaper seam roller (I came up with that :) ) to work the edges while the glue starts to set :wink:

As always, if you need more help - you know where we are :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.