Ok so I just purchased and setup the intex 12x36 metal frame pool several days ago, and I religiously memorized (ok..I copied it to my iphone to always have with me) the temporary/small pool maintenance post from this web board. My dad maintained the easy set we had last year and after a while it went green (not cloudy) and never went back, so this year I am taking full control of a new one.
Its been a little tricky with measurements because it is such a small pool, only 1700 gallons. The fresh fill water had a high ph but after one application of aqua-chems PH down, I had nailed it to 9.2. I proceeded to introduce the shock for it after the next 4 days. I only put in about 150-200 mliters (this is about the most accurate form of measurement I have around, a large measuring glass) each night, and didn't go swimming in it until the 4th night (5th if you count the first night I only added PH down too it).
Unfortunately my kit is the cheaper kind using oto, so with no establish CYA it has been dark yellow from the start even when there was no chlorine in it. I am assuming that once I stop application of the shock (which I have as of 2 nights ago, so 4 nights total of shock) the chlorine will fall from its assumed 12ish ppm to 2-5 range. Now I have learned that sunlight destroys chlorine and being in florida we get ALOT of sunlight, so unless we are in the pool I have been keeping it covered at all times. My first question would be with the pool covered, about how long till I should be seeing the chlorine drop and start needing to use the tablets? Should I uncover it until it drops enough that the test starts registering a low chlorine count?
Also algaecide, I have a %20 solution and if I am reading it correct, I still need only very little of it for 1700 gallons? I just stuck in the first application today as I don't plan to stick any more chemicals in it tonight, and even then I only filled it enough to cover the bottom of the measuring glass. Directions were 13oz for 10k so for 2k gallons thats only a mear 2-3oz.