Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: normal filter pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

normal filter pressure

My question is what is normal pressure for my filter? I just had a new pool put in and my filter stays between 5-10 psi. My builder says its low but didnt say anymore. I dont know if this is good or bad. My pool is 18000 gallons, with 2 skimmers and 2 floor drains, my pump is the vs-3050 with the large pentair filter.
    33x24 gunite pool, hayward4.0 LED light, vs-3050 pentair pump, clean and clear plus 520, rainbow 320 chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: normal filter pressure

There is no "normal" pressure, every pool is different. Remember that with a variable speed pump the filter pressure will vary with the pump speed. Lower pump speeds mean lower filter pressure.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What speed is the pump running at? Where the preset speeds changed? Sounds like you are running on a relatively low speed, say about 1700 rpm. At 2300, I would expect about 16 PSI.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the highest is 1900 or something like that. I know I will have different pressures for each setting. I was just worried since he said it was low and I have noticed a lot of dirt and rock build up in the skimmer (but its a brand new pool...3 weeks old). Not much has been in the pump filter though
    33x24 gunite pool, hayward4.0 LED light, vs-3050 pentair pump, clean and clear plus 520, rainbow 320 chlorinator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tkutch
    My question is what is normal pressure for my filter?
    You may as well ask, "What is the normal weight for a woman?"

Answer: every one is uniquely different. If its flowing good and filtering effectively, it's working, and that's just your normal pressure.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Low Pressure -> Low Flow Rates -> Low Energy Costs

Don't worry be happy!
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by tkutch
    My question is what is normal pressure for my filter?
    You may as well ask, "What is the normal weight for a woman?"

Answer: every one is uniquely different. If its flowing good and filtering effectively, it's working, and that's just your normal pressure.

Are you sure you want to go there?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)