Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Floating Chlorinators

1. Back To Top    #1

Floating Chlorinators

New pool owner here. The guy from the startup pool service told me to dissolve the chlorine tablets by placing 3-4 per week in my skimmer basket, but I've seen the floating chlorinator devices for sale at the pool store and was wondering if they really provide any additional benefit. I understand that as the device floats around the pool, the slowly dissolving chlorine is getting deposited throughout the pool. But don't I really get just about as much distribution by just dissolving them in the skimmers and letting the chlorine get deposited throughout the pool via the returns?

Any advice on whether I should bother using the floating chlorinator?

20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Polaris 360 pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sacramento, CA

Re: Floating Chlorinators

You are not going to find many proponents of using tablets at all here.

First I'll answer your question. Tablets in the skimmer basket are only OK if you run the pump 24/7. Trichlor (pucks/tablets) are acidic so if they are sitting in your skimmer with the pump off the water in becomes very acidic. When you turn the pump on all that acidic water goes undiluted into the pump and filter.

Now for the real issue. I recommend that you read through Pool School and gain an understanding of the CYA/Chlorine relationship. The tablets you are using are adding stabilizer every time you use them. The chlorine is consumed, so you have to keep adding pucks, but the CYA just keeps building up.

The best thing you can do for yourself is become educated about pool chemistry and get a good test kit.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock ('s a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Quote Originally Posted by tim_pool_newbie
    Any advice on whether I should bother using the floating chlorinator?

Save it for vacation. You'll end up with too much stabilizer if you rely on pucks alone. It's a headache. I suggest you spend a couple hours reading Pool School. 4 hours reading there could save you 4 weeks trouble at the pool. And get your own, proper, test kit ASAP. It will probably have to be ordered online. There's an article in Pool School that explains the differences.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    East Texas

If you absolutely positively have to use one, then absolutely positively make sure the top is locked closed on it. You don't want one sitting on the bottom of the pool. Kids are also notorious on "tampering' with them.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!