Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Uninvited Wildlife in the Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Uninvited Wildlife in the Pool

With my new inground pool only about a month old, it seems the local wildlife has already begun exploring it as their own sort of recreation area! I've already found a few frogs swimming in the pool, stuck in the skimmer, etc. and even had a pair of Mallard ducks sitting on the boulder waterfall the other day - obviously contemplating if they should take up residence in this "pond" vs the retention basin back behind my development!! Luckily they decided not to stay.

But the other day, after having been away on business for the week, when I went to empty the skimmer baskets, I found the surprise of my life when I opened the lid on one skimmer and found an entire rabbit floating in the basket!!! That also explained what appeared to be rabbit droppings in the bottom of the pool as well - it was!

From a health and safety standpoint, I'm wondering what I should be doing when this type of stuff occurs. Should I be performing a chlorine shock to insure I'm killing off any harmful bacteria that may be present from the critter and/or feces? Or is there anything specific one does when this occurs?

If anyone has any advice for keeping the wildlife away altogether, I'd also be interested in hearing about that. I live in a new development on former farmland, and so on occasion we still see wildlife in the area (rabbits, deer, groundhogs, etc.)
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Polaris 360 pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Uninvited Wildlife in the Pool

Sounds like you need a 12 gauge and a game camera! Ducks is good eatin'!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

shock and do an overnight fC loss test,

Consider a fence, the critter proof kind if such an animal (excuse the pun) exists
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

Sounds like you need a rabbit proof fence.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Follow FPM's advice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hattiesburg, MS

Poor Bunny....

I am sure you are already fenced, but it may help to run some chicken wire along the bottom of your fence. Bunnies are a lot like mice when squeezing into tight spaces. They can get through the small gaps in between your fence posts. Can't advise you about the ducks though. Maybe they were just checking out your new backyard. I could just hear what "they" were thinking.
    18x33 Delair Sunsation GS AGP Oval 4 shallow-6 deep mostly buried

6. Back To Top    #6

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

Put a book of etiquette out for them to read and then they'll know that unauthorized use of your pool us completely unacceptable

Seriously, I see a lot of faux owls by pools to keep critters away
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)