Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing the filter hose

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing the filter hose

This is my first year with a pool so I'm learning everything and please bear with any "stupid" questions. Bought the house in February and was told the liner in the pool needed to be replaced and I hired a local company to do that and get it set up. Shortly after I noticed a small amount of water leaking from the return filter hose. I called them to see if it was a defective hose and they said they used the old hoses I had in my storage building and I probably needed to replace it. Well, I've put that off because I don't know exactly how to do it without losing a ton of water. So.... it's split more now and I have to replace it so any tips?

I know I'll need to plug the return and skimmer while I'm doing this but what about the water in the filter? Will it just come rushing out as soon as I take the hose off??

Again, please just laugh in private if this sounds like a really stupid question to the experienced pool owner
    Kelly from St. Louis
    27ft AG approx 18,000 gals / Jacuzzi Laser Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing the filter hose

You are almost right. Some of the water in the filter will come out but there's only a small amount so it's not going to flood the area. In fact almost none will come out of the filter, most of it will be from the lines.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!!! Being a not very mechanically inclined single mom is quite the adventure but thanks to helpful folks like yourself I'm really learning a lot!!!
    Kelly from St. Louis
    27ft AG approx 18,000 gals / Jacuzzi Laser Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

This may also be a prime opportunity to replace the flexible hose with hard pipe pvc!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!