Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Pool mastic replacement. DIY or not

Pool mastic replacement. DIY or not

I found this stuff. http://santasticpoolmastic.com/index.html

I would be willing to go through the effort to remove the old mastic and install this stuff to save 5 or 6 c notes.
    Would like other opinions if anyone has one.

Thanks.
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.

Re: Pool mastic replacement. DIY or not

I like Sikaflex SL. There is a thread here somewhere outlining how to install. You can buy this at Home Depot. It is usually in the masonry area. Tubes run about $12.00 for the quart sized tube (you'll probably have to buy a bigger caulking gun!), and typical pools take 3-4 tubes.

Great stuff; it is actually made for bridge application. Jet fuel resistant too; in case you spill one of your adult beverages, it should be able to handle it

Not meaning to hijack. Mine needs to be redone too. When I had it done several years ago by pool guys they sprinkled a very fine sand like material on it when it was still tacky. The mastic was a tan color That perfectly matches my tan stamped concrete. I don't remember the color of the "sand" but it blended right in and collects dirt at the same rate and color as the concrete.

Anybody know what this was and where to get?

Thanks, gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

I used grey sikaflex and regular masonry sand poured on top very heavily. Then blew off the excess after it dried. Matched the stone I used very well
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

Back from the dead... I am interested in Santastic too and this is the only thread on this forum that brings it up.

As advertised the product looks great. Bags of product the consistency of sand are poured into gaps and cleaned up with water. The mastic remains flexible and forms a water tight seal, claimed to last a life time.

No one on here has used this stuff??
    18,000gal IG pool/ spa, Pentair CCP 420 filter, Pentair VS pump, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Polaris 360, 325k BTU heater...

I decided to try the santastic mastic. I recently ordered and received the mastic. I have yet to install the mastic as the old mastic needs to be removed and it was a poor job putting it in. Plus some coping cracking appeared recently and wanted to get that addressed before any other repairs were made in case some large repairs needed to be done. Will give feedback on the mastic in the near future.
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.

Installed the mastic today. Real easy! Hardest part is removing the old stuff. I like the way it fills the gap and is level with the coping and the deck if wanted. Used a grout bag. (like a pastry/cake decorating bag) filled the gaps and moistened. Added mixture as needed in low areas. Easy to work with. gonna keep an eye on it for the next few days and then see how well it handles the summer activities. Having used a caulking gun in other home improvement areas, this is, in my opinion, a lot easier to install.

How is the santastic holding up?
    Salinda
    owner of ~37,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Intelliflo VS+ filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, Jandy Aqualink RS-6 with iAqualink upgrade, The Pool Cleaner 4x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils.

So a local DFW company called Blue Horizon pools developed this stuff Santastic. I called them a few months back to ask about the product and was told that they stopped manufacturing it because of too many product failures. They have gone back to installing/recommending deck-o-seal only. They should really take those youtube videos down...

There are several threads on TFP where Sikaflex is recommended and I started to go down this route as it's a fraction of the cost Deck-o-seal. So here's the problem with the Sika SL product that's sold at Home Depot, it's only chlorine resistant to 5 ppm. Even the 2-part 2c-SL product can only handle 5 ppm. (See the PDS PDFs linked below). Deck-o-seal on the other hand is "resistant to most chemicals" per their documentation. So sadly, for the coping/deck joints it looks like deck-o is the only truly sustainable option.
    I'll definitely use Sika everywhere else...
    18,000gal IG pool/ spa, Pentair CCP 420 filter, Pentair VS pump, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Polaris 360, 325k BTU heater...

There is also a one part Self Leveling called SoudaSeal SL...www.soudalusa.com....really looking on this board for info on my automatic pool cover but saw this one and thought I would give my $.02

I called www.ultimatepoolseal.com yesterday and spoke with owner. He was familure with santastic failures.
    1-877-766-5654. He says his product will sometimes separate from one side or the other because is compresses real will but it will not stretch. When that happens you premix some product you have leftover into a playdough and pack it into the crack. Eventually you wont see anymore cracks and you will never have to remove or replace the product for the life of the pool. So he says. The advantage to this is you can align a higher edge of your deck to a lower edge of your coping because it will set up at a slant. Self leveling Sikaflex and Deck-o-seal will not. Disagvantage is you will have to fill in cracks as they appear. Another advantage is the product shelf life is forever and long as you keep it dry. I'm going to try it next week while on vacation. Will let you know the results. The worse that can happen is I'll have to replace it just like the deck-o-seal.. I did talk to a Guardian Pool Svc in TX that does this type of work and he told me to use sikaflex. he said it's a much better product than deck-o-seal and lasts longer. I live too far away from him to do the work. I'm still going to use ultimate pool seal. It looks easier to install and I like being different. That's why I switched to BBB and dumped the pool store!!
    20x40 gunite inground roman shape 7 ft deep end, 1hp hayward main pump, 2hp in-floor cleaner pump for Paramount PV-3,all plumbing 2" sch 40, Nitro wall climber robot, Fiberstars WPC-2, ColorLogic LED lights, Hayward 425 sq. ft. cartridge filter, UltraPure UPP25 UV ozone.

FYI - My son and I installed Santastic last summer. No go at all! Looked great for one season. I haven't removed it yet but it is peeling off and whenever I hose down my deck and coping area, big chunks come off....wouldn't recommend it at all. On my way to HD to buy Sikaflex SL....
    15000 gal. in ground quartz agg./ lazy L
    Pentair Whisperflow 1.5/Pentair FNS D.E. filter
    Solar Heat
    Hayward Navigator sweep
    San Diego, CA

Thanks!
    Salinda
    owner of ~37,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Intelliflo VS+ filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, Jandy Aqualink RS-6 with iAqualink upgrade, The Pool Cleaner 4x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils.

I used E-Z Patch E-Z Joint Seal - comes in a caulk tube. Expensive, but you dont need to mix (the pros have the skills needed for mixing - pay extra for the pre-mixed tubes and you don't need to find/hire a pro).

here is what I did (do this on a partly sunny or cool day and wear kneepads):

1. slice the sides of the existing joint with a box cutter to seperate it from the walls of the gap (dig in as deep as you can). this is a critical step, you really really want to CUT/scrape as much of the existing joint out as possible at this stage.
    2. peel out the existing joint.
    3. remove the existing backer rod (may still be attached to the existing joint when you pull it out)
    3. using a 4" angle grinder with a COARSE stripping wheel (NOT a wire wheel or a sanding disc), grind the remaining joint bits off the insides of the gap. NOTE: you WILL NEED A RESPIRATOR MASK AND GOGGLES. The fumes are terrible!!!!
    4. vacuum any remaining debris out of the gap
    5. lay the backer rod into the gap to achieve the required depth for the caulk (Depth of joint should be 1/3 to 1/2 the width of joint. (1/4" minimum depth)
    6. cut the caulk tube and pour sealant into the gap until almost near the top.
    7. continue cutting and pouring caulk until the gap is filled.

its a pain in the ***, but its not difficult.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

I used santastic magic last year. It lasted about 6 months. It looked great after the install but it just didn't hold up well. It seemed like the miracle product we've all been looking for but it just doesn't last. After a short time it started absorbing moisture and losing its shape.

I'm looking at doing decoseal next but the original mastic around my pool was a more sandy polymer. I can't figure out what the original guys used. It held up for about 4 years before cracking and peeling.
    27k gal, IG Plaster, 2.5 HP Pump, DE 60, HP24001 Heater, Spa, Limestone, Polaris, Was SWG until limestone coping was destroyed after 1 year. Now Rainbow feeder but switching to bleach. Date Built Nov 2004. Austin, TX

Just an FYI, I also tried Santastic a few years ago, and it lasted about a year until starting to deteriorate. Like others reported, it looks great at first, but does not last long. I am now looking for options to again replace the mastic. I found this thread while doing a search.

Only good thing I can see with the Santastic is it will be very easy to remove, since just spraying it with a hose can cause chunks to fly off!
    25000 Gallon gunite and plaster, 100 perimeter feet. Pool built 1996, original owner.
    Uniclor 2400 external brine membrane chlorine generator.
    Kreepy Krauly inground cleaner, suction side.
    Sta-Rite System 3 filter, 300 sq foot cartridge with 1.5 lb cellulose filter aid used.
    Sta-Rite Max-E glass 2 HP pump, Solar Cover for heat retention and evaporation control.