Safe to drain in the heat?

Jun 14, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
My CYA level is up around 250 or 300 so I need to do a major drain and refill. I'm also trying to get some bids on some surface rapairs (piece of rebar sticking up through a step, etc) so it would be nice to only drain once. I have a Pebbletec pool. Is it safe to drain it right now given that the temps are over 100 degrees and headed to 110 in a few days? I've heard that draining during the Summer can lead to cracks.

Is it PebbleTec or PebbleSheen? Are you sure it is rebar in the step (there is no need, and it usually isn't installed, in any step or bench in less than 4' of water)?

P-Tec can handle exposure; P-Sheen; not so much. Your pool is small; I would try and do a drain when the sun is setting and get the water going back in as soon as you can. That would be the safest, and you should be able to pump it relatively quickly. The fill will take longer. You may also be able to find a "diver" who can do the repair under water.

I know there are some R/O guys near you; have you considered that? Might be another option if you are afraid to drain in the heat.

Thanks for the reply. I actually don't know if it's pebbletec or pebblesheen since the pool came with the house. Is there any way to tell?

The rust spot is what alerted me to the rebar. It feels like steel to me. It is only a few feet under though on the bottom most step. Not sure what else it would be.

I would definitely consider an R/O treatment. To be honest I only just discovered that option existed when I was signing up for TFP access but the company on the sponsor list is in San Diego. I will look around for a local company (Phoenix, AZ). Thanks for the idea.

PebbleTec is a larger stone, and PebbleSheen is a smaller one. You may be able to see it clear enough on their website (http://www.pebbletec.com) to tell. They are okay with leaving P-Tec exposed (like on the rolled bond beams that you have over there), but not P-Sheen.

Make sure you are not seeing a rust spot from something that sat on the finish. Also, on some of the P-Tec knock offs, they do not screen for metal. That means that there may be something metallic that was in the mix that is now starting to rust. Just would be odd if there is steel in a step or bench that is not in water depth of 48" or deeper. I'd hate to see you get (and pay for!) a patch if you don't need it!

I think I can tell you who the company is in Phoenix (I don't think that is against board rules. Mods: Please delete if I am incorrect). It is Calsaway (http://www.calsaway.com). You might mention that you saw them on TFP (we were talking to them earlier today, and they were asking for the web address here, so that may throw them for a loop :lol: ).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.