My first official water test

Jun 13, 2010
Well, outside of my DPD test kit!

I added conditioner {CYA granules} yesterday per Calculator suggestions, and came up with these numbers today, courtesy of Leslies.

FC 2
PH 7.2
TA 80
CH 100
CYA 100
Phosphates 0

Leslie's targets are well within order, but the Pool Calculator suggests higher chlorine {just added, along with some borax per Calculator}

Whatcha think?

If cya is indeed 100 I would drain 50 percent water. If you have plaster then I would be concerned about the calcium being low, otherwise no big deal. The pool calculater is suggesting higher FC because your cya is storing all of it.

Not literally forever, but close enough.

You will lose some CYA to splash out and backwashing (if your filter needs backwashing). CYA can sometimes disappear over the winter, though that is very unpredictable. CYA also breaks down at an extremely slow rate, slow enough that the other factors are usually all that matters.

The granular CYA that you recently added probably has not had time to fully dissolve and register on a test.

So, your CYA could indeed be higher than tested and CYA tests at or over 100 are unreliable.

Is the CYA permanent? Well, kinda. You will lose some over time with splash out, backwashing, etc, but the majority will stay.
The only two ways to remove it is to replace the water or an RO treatment (which is not available everywhere).

...sorry for duplication. Jason types fast!

Thinking of letting the recent changes stabilize for a few days, see if I get a pattern of chlorine use.

Todays home test showed the PH and TA holding steady at nice numbers, and FC dropped from an 8 yesterday {before adding chlorine} to a 5 today.

So far, so good, the pool feels good to the touch, losing that slick feeling. The water has been slightly cloudy, but I didnt get to see it yesterday, gonna hop in shortly and see today!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Getting into the groove here, chlorine level of 5 each day, adding about 25oz of bleach. Pool walls are feeling good, clarity improving daily.

Looks like I ducked a problem! Gonna continue and see how things go, maybe then drop some water to pull the CYA down a bit and adjust as needed after that.

Definitely poking fun, but it would have been tough without the good folks here!

Since I am getting a healthy chlorine smell, I am thinking a shock is in order [reduces CC?!?]
Things are going smoothly, a tweak here and there, lovin' that pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.