Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first official water test

1. Back To Top    #1

My first official water test

Well, outside of my DPD test kit!

I added conditioner {CYA granules} yesterday per Calculator suggestions, and came up with these numbers today, courtesy of Leslies.

FC 2
    PH 7.2
    TA 80
    CH 100
    CYA 100
    Phosphates 0

Leslie's targets are well within order, but the Pool Calculator suggests higher chlorine {just added, along with some borax per Calculator}

Whatcha think?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My first official water test

Were you targeting a CYA of 100?
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

If cya is indeed 100 I would drain 50 percent water. If you have plaster then I would be concerned about the calcium being low, otherwise no big deal. The pool calculater is suggesting higher FC because your cya is storing all of it.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

I added CYA yesterday based on the calculator. No plaster here, Intex blob pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh well.

So, does CYA last forever?

6. Back To Top    #6

Not literally forever, but close enough.

You will lose some CYA to splash out and backwashing (if your filter needs backwashing). CYA can sometimes disappear over the winter, though that is very unpredictable. CYA also breaks down at an extremely slow rate, slow enough that the other factors are usually all that matters.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The granular CYA that you recently added probably has not had time to fully dissolve and register on a test.

So, your CYA could indeed be higher than tested and CYA tests at or over 100 are unreliable.

Is the CYA permanent? Well, kinda. You will lose some over time with splash out, backwashing, etc, but the majority will stay.
    The only two ways to remove it is to replace the water or an RO treatment (which is not available everywhere).

...sorry for duplication. Jason types fast!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thinking of letting the recent changes stabilize for a few days, see if I get a pattern of chlorine use.

Todays home test showed the PH and TA holding steady at nice numbers, and FC dropped from an 8 yesterday {before adding chlorine} to a 5 today.

So far, so good, the pool feels good to the touch, losing that slick feeling. The water has been slightly cloudy, but I didnt get to see it yesterday, gonna hop in shortly and see today!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ob1quixote
    Intex blob pool.
    Very descriptive! I like it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

It reminds of one of the characters in that Disney movie, I think it was called Monsters!

11. Back To Top    #11

Getting into the groove here, chlorine level of 5 each day, adding about 25oz of bleach. Pool walls are feeling good, clarity improving daily.

Looks like I ducked a problem! Gonna continue and see how things go, maybe then drop some water to pull the CYA down a bit and adjust as needed after that.

12. Back To Top    #12

Seems to be stuck at adding about 25oz of bleach each day.

Man, this pool maintenance is tough!

13. Back To Top    #13

Not sure if you're joking or not...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

14. Back To Top    #14

Definitely poking fun, but it would have been tough without the good folks here!

Since I am getting a healthy chlorine smell, I am thinking a shock is in order [reduces CC?!?]
    Things are going smoothly, a tweak here and there, lovin' that pool!