Pentair Whisper Flow WF-6 humming won't run FIXED for $11

Apr 15, 2010
Las Vegas
My Pentair pump died and I wanted to save others the discovery process I went through. I came out of the house and the pump was humming loud but not spinning. The shaft turned freely and there were to obstructions. It was the running cap on top of the motor. There is a Youtube video of how to test caps here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-cVgpz7GYQ I don't have an analog meter (he says you need one in the vid) but I do have a Fluke 76 True RMS digital meter with bar graph on the bottom of the screen that reads fast. So that worked. I priced caps online between $30-50 before shipping. I called NPS Pool & Spa as well as Leslie's, both local pool stores. I was told roughly $30 The cap is just a 30 microfarad 337v cap available at Grainger (electricians supply store) for around 11 dollars :shock: :p So I got one there. The specs were printed right on the cap and is not name brand.
The Body was bigger so the cover didn't fit, however when I brought the pump to NPS pool & Spa on Boulder HWY here in Las Vegas to have a Go-Kit (seals, bearing, and all gaskets) installed the girl there gave me a bigger cover for free. :mrgreen: The G0-kit was $26.95 dollars and they do instore labor on pumps FREE and right on the counter in front of you :-D Took arounf 20 mins and I learned how it's done. So I got my cleaning pump back. They did the work right away and there are always 5 plus employees to help, It's worth the drive if you live anywhere in the Valley, Their a fun group there and always cracking jokes and giving you the right answers. Good vibe. :party:

I just posted in your other thread, but anyways...:goodjob: I love it when people are able to fix things like these for themselves and save a bundle! That's how I was raised, learn how to do something yourself, that way you know it's done right! And if it's not, you know where to point the finger! :mrgreen:

cheddar85 said:
I just posted in your other thread, but anyways...:goodjob: I love it when people are able to fix things like these for themselves and save a bundle! That's how I was raised, learn how to do something yourself, that way you know it's done right! And if it's not, you know where to point the finger! :mrgreen:
HAHA soo true!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.