Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Supplemental Oxidation for Indoor Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Supplemental Oxidation for Indoor Pool?

I am considering options for supplemental oxidation (probably Ozone, but maybe UV) and I am looking for your thoughts on the matter. I understand there are different types of Ozone generators, which do you think is best? As things stand now I am spending about $20-$25 per month on MPS shock to keep CC levels down during swimming season. Also what level of Ozone generation do I need to be looking at, I know this market segment is full of a lot of junk, so what should I avoid?

thanks
    Ike

p.s. would either an ozonator or inline UV effect my chlorine use significantly?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Supplemental Oxidation for Indoor Pool?

Ozone will increase your chlorine demand unless you have high bather loads (it oxidizes bather waste, but also oxidizes chlorine); UV not so much (especially if you have some CYA in the water).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Supplemental Oxidation for Indoor Pool?

Per the advice here I try to keep the CYA around 20 ppm, or maybe a little lower (I am using 20 ppm as my goal, and adjusting when it drops below). Should I assume from this that given my situation of wanting a supplemental oxidizer, and not having a goal of completely eliminating other products (not going for chlorine free or anything like that) that under sizing rather than over sizing would be the better way to go in this case. From the little research I have done it seems the suggested supplemental dosing is in the 6-10 grams per day range for a 36,000 gallon pool, this seems like a BIG ballpark to me. Does anyone have any better numbers that I should use for planning.

Ike

p.s. I am working on the theory that any size is better than nothing, is there a down side to an under sized unit (being aware that it seems most of the units on the market seem to be optimistic on their ratings)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~