Wait or just go for it

Jun 21, 2010
Hello, been reading a lot of the forums on doing a conversation. Opening the pool much later that last year, since it was such a terrible pool season in Michigan in 2009. I added about a 1/3rd of fresh well water this year and my sanitizer is still about 30ppm from last year. Should I wait till it drops lower or just go for it? kids can use pool now, but i wanted to try to get this done during the next week, they will be in DC. So i can knock this out i in 6 days?
I orderd my test kit this morning. i will be waiting on the kit before i start.
I have a 27ft AG about 19500 gal

Welcome to TFP!

You don't need to wait for the full test kit to start if you have or can get up a cheap OTO chlorine/PH test (under $10). You do need the full test kit to finish, but not for the first few days.

A bit less than half of all conversions are completely finished in 6 days. If you are diligent during the first day or two and add chlorine hourly, you can probably finish in 6 days, but it could take longer.

I'm on about day 8 and probably still have about 5 days or so left though I'm able to only test the pool twice daily. Also, I'm pretty sure if I cleaned out the pump filter & sand about 3 days ago when the pool skimmer filter was orange with baquagoop that'd I'd probably cut about 2 or 3 days off the process. So far I've used about 21 189oz bottles of bleach and plan on buying 5 more. As my pool is only 8000 gallongs I'm guessing you'll need at least 50 bottles and maybe up to 65 to complete the conversion. You can view my thread as I've documented the process pretty well to include photos.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.