Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wait or just go for it

1. Back To Top    #1

Wait or just go for it

Hello, been reading a lot of the forums on doing a conversation. Opening the pool much later that last year, since it was such a terrible pool season in Michigan in 2009. I added about a 1/3rd of fresh well water this year and my sanitizer is still about 30ppm from last year. Should I wait till it drops lower or just go for it? kids can use pool now, but i wanted to try to get this done during the next week, they will be in DC. So i can knock this out i in 6 days?
    I orderd my test kit this morning. i will be waiting on the kit before i start.
    I have a 27ft AG about 19500 gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wait or just go for it

Welcome to TFP!

You don't need to wait for the full test kit to start if you have or can get up a cheap OTO chlorine/PH test (under $10). You do need the full test kit to finish, but not for the first few days.

A bit less than half of all conversions are completely finished in 6 days. If you are diligent during the first day or two and add chlorine hourly, you can probably finish in 6 days, but it could take longer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

so dont worry about the high sanitizer?
    will go and buy an cheap test kit and price out the bleach
    will get the PH were it needs to be, then start the bleach:}

4. Back To Top    #4

The sanitizer level is higher than you would ideally want, but it isn't a problem.

It is worth doing a little shopping around for the best prices on bleach. You will be using quite a bit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm on about day 8 and probably still have about 5 days or so left though I'm able to only test the pool twice daily. Also, I'm pretty sure if I cleaned out the pump filter & sand about 3 days ago when the pool skimmer filter was orange with baquagoop that'd I'd probably cut about 2 or 3 days off the process. So far I've used about 21 189oz bottles of bleach and plan on buying 5 more. As my pool is only 8000 gallongs I'm guessing you'll need at least 50 bottles and maybe up to 65 to complete the conversion. You can view my thread as I've documented the process pretty well to include photos.
    POOL SPECS - 18' round AG pool Doughboy pool with 5'8" deep-end, Aqua Trol Salt Water Generator, 1HP Doughboy pump, Doughboy sand filter, Solar Dome cover and a 40'x4' solar heater. Located in Oregon with swimming season from end of May through September. I pull the pump & SWG during winter months. Solar Dome minimizes FC loss & keeps heat in & debris out. Btw - Solar Dome lasted about 6 years before plastic started shredding.