Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Arggghhhh!!!! Bubbles in the return...

1. Back To Top    #1

Arggghhhh!!!! Bubbles in the return...

Background/My installation:

Main Drain + Skimmer -> 4 way valve (Main Drain, Skimmer, 1/2 or off) -> pump -> filter -> swg -> 2 returns

Last week I noticed that I was getting air bubbles out of one of my return jets. Don't know exactly when it started but I suspect that it was soon after I cleaned out the pump skimmer. I checked with the 4 way valve on main drain only then skimmer only... bubbles in either case.

This past weekend I checked all the plumbing and found no noticeable leaks on the inlet side of the pump (turn pump off and watch for any water coming out of the connections/unions.... also the shaving cream trick). I took everything apart just in case and re-assembled with new lube + thread sealant. Checked again and no leaks.

So my conclusion is that I have either a leak in both the main drain and the skimmer lines or a leak in the pump/pump housing (likely the case). It's been a couple of years since I replaced the rubber gasket on the pump skimmer cover (Hayward Super Pump, rectangular gasket). The gasket doesn't look bad but there are no other obvious places for air to get in.

The gasket is simple enough to replace but is there anywhere else I should look at?

Also... while I was at the pool store I saw that the gasket is also sold as a part of a rebuild kit which includes the Housing Gasket, Diffuser Gasket, Lid Gasket and the Motor Seal. I've never rebuilt the pump before... Is this something I need to do regularly?
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump
    Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    thepoolcleaner pressure side cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Arggghhhh!!!! Bubbles in the return...

I wouldn't rebuild the pump unless you have a good reason for doing so, which it doesn't sound like you do. Gaskets are cheap; I would start there even if yours seems OK.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with MITS. Change the gasket only.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Try turning off the SWCG and see if the bubbles don't miraculously stop

Needless to say, I suspect hydrogen.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Does the SWCG create the bubbles, is this common?
    16,000 Plaster/Gunite - Pentair FNS Plus Fiberglass D.E. Filter
    Heat Siphon Heat Pump Z375HP- Hayward Pro Logic PL-P4 Automation
    Hayward Chlorinator Cell T-CELL-9 - Waterway SVL5 Pump
    A.O. Smith Two Speed Motor B983 - Solar Blanket - Polaris 380
    Test Kit K-2006c

6. Back To Top    #6

Absolutely, yes.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

7. Back To Top    #7

just to clarify; a SWG will create bubbles only when it's generating chlorine. If you have it set at, say, 50%, it will generate bubbles 50% of the time the pump is running. Just as a test, you could turn off your SWG and see if the bubbles stop.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

8. Back To Top    #8

to clarify even more with the SWG. If it's set at 50% then 1/2 the time it will be off. Mine seems to run all the time, I assumed that 50% would run at 1/2 of the maximum or 1/2 power?
    Test Kit K-2006c

9. Back To Top    #9

fharczuk, 50% (at least on my Hayward/Goldline) means that the cell is generating chlorine half the time. It only has one power level, and just cycles on and off. The control box has power all the time, but the "generating" LED would only be on half the time.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, that's what I have a Hayward/Goldline. I'm going for a swimm now and will keep on eye on it.

95 degrees yesterday, and 90 today, I luv my pool.
    Test Kit K-2006c