Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG and copper pool lines

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and copper pool lines

I was talking to a pool plaster guy yesterday and he mentioned there were salt water generators that worked with copper lines. Anyone here of such a unit? I was wondering if he was confused with one of those mineral and chloine tab dispenser units.

I am planning on replastering my pool and thinking about changing out the copper pipes with PVC so I can eventually add a SWG unit.
    18 ft round (Intex style) Summer Escape pool
    1hp Hayward pump and sand filter (size escapes me)
    Intex SWG
    Planning an upgrade to a 24ft as soon as we wear this one out!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: SWG and copper pool lines

I could (very easily) be wrong, but I thought the main issue with copper lines was pH (i.e. never below 7.0), not salt.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: SWG and copper pool lines

Replacing copper pipe with PVC is always a good idea, SWG or not. Copper is very sensitive to low PH.

There is no problem using copper pipes with a SWG. Most people don't have copper pipes, but many many people have copper heat exchangers in their pool heaters that are used with SWG pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School